Lots Of Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figures Warez Monster posted something, I doubt there's anything that guy doesn't know..
ANd yeah, XP 64-bit can use the 4 full gigs of memory but nobody writes device drivers for it.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 Bit 4400+ its a decent processor, so ithinking of downgrading to a 2Gb and keeping the other 2 for 64 when it coms out

What u all think ???

ounds good to me, it's not unreasonable to expect Vista to be out and stable within the next 12 months then just stick the memory in when you upgrade. I may upgrade to 4gb myself when Vista arrives. We'll alll be forced to buy it anyways to play games, may as well upgrade the rest of the system too ;)

I really don't care if you don't believe me or not. go ahead and waste your money and find out the hard way.

Warez Monster said:
The problem lies with how Windows XP allocates physical address space for devices. As you all know, XP is a 32-bit Operating System and has a total of 4gb memory space. Hardware devices will take I/O address resources from this 4GB. For Example, the 3.75gb~4.00gb (256mb) memory space is reserved for I/O APIC and BIOS EPROM; 3.50gb~3.75gb is reserved for configuration-space memory-mapping access for PCI Express, 3.25gb~-3.50gb is reserved for PCI Bridge devices such as the IDE Controller, USB Devices, and Onboard audio. When you have a PCI Express graphics card with 256mb of ram, 3gb~3.25gb will be allocated to the first PCI Express graphics card. A second PCI-E card would take another 256mb in the 2.75gb~out of 4gb of memory available for Windows applications. Memory remapping could be a solution, but theres a performance cost and some drivers might fail with the physical address extension enabled. The easy way around this is Windows XP 64-bit OS.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98335

To : Darybart.

No, no, more ram will not slow the computer down, it will make it work faster. And be able to work games and programs in much higher frame rate.

But, Excessive RAM as Warez Monster explained may cause machine to run slowly.

Valekea said:

No, no, more ram will not slow the computer down,

But, Excessive RAM as Warez Monster explained may cause machine to run slowly.

you have just contradicted yourself. that is exactly why my machine went slower when I upgraded my ram.

I bet that you don't have 4 gigs of ram. just because it look good on paper, that doesn't mean it will work in the real world

If you have too much RAM, pm me and I'll give you my address, so you can send it to someone who doesn't have enough, and I'll offer you a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom