NIC problem - PCI Slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie83

Solid State Member
I slotted my New nic card into an old computer (Made for windows 98, successfully installed xp at minimum spec though!).

However, Nic card did not have enough teeth to fill all the teeth in the PCI slot. Is this usual? Should my NIC card fill all the teeth?

Many thanks,

J

Yea i think it should, it obviously shouldnt go there if it doesnt fit, so to prevent damage the component and to the PCI slot i dont think you should use it

I'll bet you have attempted to install that PCI card into an ISA slot. And I'll bet the color of the slot is brown and not white...right? It will not work, obvously, in ISA!!!!

Rico, ISA slots are black, not brown... AGP is brown :p (well, depends on the vendor I suppose)

Is the bottom slot what you are trying to plug the card into, when it came out of a PCI slot (white slot at top of picture).
oldslot.jpg

Ethereal_Dragon said:
Rico, ISA slots are black, not brown... AGP is brown :p (well, depends on the vendor I suppose)

Is the bottom slot what you are trying to plug the card into, when it came out of a PCI slot (white slot at top of picture).
oldslot.jpg

Okay....I have seen them in brown and black.....AGP...black and brown.........that is not the point. He put a PCI card in an ISA slot....thai is why there "weren't enough teeth". Did you think
I was confused about the Slot characteristics and funtionality? Man..........whew. Nice picture, though... :)

The White slot

I placed the NIC in the white slot. Previously there was an RJ-11 card for Dial up internet. This fitted in perfectly with all the teeth. I removed this and placed the nic in there. It fitted in fine but did not fill up all the slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom