A7N8X problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemist

Beta member
I've got a PC sitting here next to me which blew its PSU last week. I just replaced the dodgy PSU and stuck the lot in a new case. The problem I've got is pretty strange and I thought that in a forum as big and knowledgeable as this I might find someone who could help or advise me.

Before I start, I'd like to say that I've worked in PC repair, so the tentative "have you tried the power button?" level questions aren't necessary ;)

The problem is this: it won't turn on. The mobo's getting power (the pilot light is on), everything is plugged in how it should be. I've connecting the case switch (and all the other case connectors) and tried powering up, but nothing happens. No fan movements, no beeps, nothing. So I tried manually shorting the power pins on the mobo... nothing. It's weird because usually if a mobo's acting up (or a component is dead) it will try to start the boot process and tell me what's wrong.

So there's power but it won't initiate the boot sequence at all. I'm thinking a dead mobo.

Any ideas, or do I just replace it? Here's the specs:

Asus A7N8X-X Nforce 2
Barton 2500XP
1gb DDR3200
GF3
SB Audigy 2 ZS

Any responses appreciated.

When my Mobo did the same thing it turned out to be Bad Ram. Just my 2 cents worth Dude!

yes, test with another stick of memory and also another video card, likely those fried. i warn you though, you are taking a risk by using parts on hardware that you know may be damaged so don't test with anything valuable. damage parts can fry other hardware. let me guess, the faulty PSU was a cheapo generic one?

my computer gets like that sometimes where my pilot light is on but pressing the power button doesnt do anything. what i find helps when this happens is resetting my psu by either unplugging it or pressing the button on back to turn it off and then when i turn it back on my computer will start. just a thought hope it helps.

It may be your Ram, video card(it would boot anyway), or even maybe your CPU or your mobo. I would first try replacing your RAM...then your videocard...so forth and so on

First of all, thanks for all the responses.
MicroBell said:
Also consider testing this outside of the PC case on a workbench in case of a short on the board. Do you get any beep codes?
No beep codes. It doesn't start the boot process. That's the weird thing about it: if it was trying to start, failing and beeping, I'd be able to diagnose the problem (loose video card, incorrect ram setup etc). It doesn't even try. I think this removes any chance of it being ram-related: wouldn't it try to boot even if it didn't find any ram? As in, the fans of the PSU would start to go round, maybe the cpu fan would kick in... none of these things are happening. I've tried re-seating everything except the cpu, and I'm loath to do that because it requires removing the psu (nasty thermaltake fansink with it's bloody huge clip), and I've seen enough cracked Athlon cpu dies already...

let me guess, the faulty PSU was a cheapo generic one?
Yes, and it's precisely for this reason that I myself spent nearly £100 on my own PC's PSU. Sadly the computer I'm working with had a cheap "hiper" PSU.

I will probably take the hardware out and test it outside the case, as suggested. It'll all have to come out anyway, I'm pretty sure there's nothing more I can do. If it doesn't work outside the case then I'll get a new mobo. Thanks again for all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom