AMD plans major price drops...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I should've read this thread before posting.

Originally posted my Me:
AMD is going to drop the prices of their Athlon 64 X2
processors by up to 50% on July 23rd, the day Conroe comes out.

You heard right folks, a Athlon 64 X2 3800+ will cost $150 on July 23rd.

Now, Intel's 1.86Ghz Conroe will also cost under $200, and will still be better than a Athlon 64 X2 4800+, so there will still not be any huge reason to go for it.

But, like people are doing with Intel's dirt-cheap Pentium-Ds, they will make for good second systems. Think about it: a Dual Core Athlon 64 processor second system with a 7800GT for around $650. It will be no match for even the slowest Conroe systems, but it will be a very nice computer nonetheless. Just don't use it as your main system, 'kay?

For those of you saying "Good news for my next build": Unless your next build happens to be a bargain-basement computer, you don't want to go with this. Like said above, the slowest Conroe will still be faster then the X2 4800+, so the X2 3800+ is the only real thing that MIGHT be worth getting. If the price difference is less than $30, between the X2 3800+ and the 1.86 Conroe (E6300), then it might not be worth it at all.

Anyone knows what will be the price of an FX-62 at 23'rd in july? Still over the 800$ Or less?... if it goes to be as cheap as conroes I might just get that if the conroes will be tough to get on their release date.

You have to keep in mind, the phrase is "up to 50%", there could be some processors that only see a 10% price drop, 20%, 30% and so on. You probably wont see any of the high end processors getting that much of a price reduction, but mostly in the lower and middle where there is the least demand.

True, but processors like the X2 3800+ are going to be like $169.

Anything else will be over the $200 mark and it would be foolish to get it when the base Conroe is $190.

cedjunior said:
You have to keep in mind, the phrase is "up to 50%", there could be some processors that only see a 10% price drop, 20%, 30% and so on. You probably wont see any of the high end processors getting that much of a price reduction, but mostly in the lower and middle where there is the least demand.

Actually, its the X2 processors that are going to be recieving the largest percentage price cuts. Im like 99% sure of that but please correct me if im wrong. And of course not every processors will recieve cuts that high, but a couple will, and many wont, but still good nonetheless.

Could someone please post some benchmarks or performance specs that proves how the lowest Conroe compares with the X2 family or give me a link to a place that does have them, thanks.

I've already done the calculations from looking at dozens of benchmarks and Conroe is 30% better than a Athlon 64 at the same speeds. That percentage drops suddenly for the X6800 (2.93Ghz Conroe) to 20%, for some reason. Its weird, though, because I've seen a E6600 clocked at 3Ghz vs. a 3Ghz Opty 165, and the Conroe was ahead by a whopping 40%.

So the X2 3800+ will be the only AMD dual core cheaper than the Conroe.

But the lowest Conroe will perform like a X2 4800+.

Here's a breakdown of Conroe to A64 comparison;

E6300 1.86Ghz Conroe $183 - 2.418Ghz Dual Core A64.
E6400 2.13Ghz Conroe $224 - 2.769Ghz Dual Core A64.

E6600 2.40Ghz Conroe $316 - 3.12Ghz Dual Core A64.
E6700 2.66Ghz Conroe $530 - 3.45Ghz Dual Core A64.

X6800 2.93Ghz Conroe $999 - 3.52Ghz Dual Core A64.

No prob. To be conservative, just take the speed of one of the 5 Conroes, multiply it by anywhere from 1.25(25% better) to 1.3 (30% better) and you should be fine.

The performance will vary from application to application, even from game to game, so 25-30% is a safe margin. For example, I know I've seen situations where the advantage for the Conroe was as little as 10%, but I also know that Conroes calculate Pi 70% faster than A64s, so there's a wide chance for variation.

PS: When I first read your posts, since our names are so similar, I remember thinking, "I didn't write that..." Lol.

That conroe sure sounds tempting! Thats a great price for DC performance of that cali...BUT the mobos are really exp right now. ( i know...not out yet fully) but its still a huge gamble to think its within my financial reach. I am dying to know WHEN it comes out though...if its not before sept i dont care lol. college awaits!

But did you guys see the price of the AMD 3800? 147 bucks? 2.4GHz. That is INSANE....I was soooo hooked on the optys and their OCing...that i didn't realize how much the rest of the AMD fleet dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom