Not open for further replies.

Eagleboy

In Runtime
Sending an email to the admin account yields this message:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

admin@techist.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550-"The recipient cannot be verified. Please check all recipients of this
550 message to verify they are valid."

So, are we running blind here, or do we have somebody who can get stuff done? 'Cause it would seem that whoever IS here to do stuff can't even set up an email account.... No offense, but that posted email addy is EVERYWHERE, yet it's not real.

I emailed about the über crappy 1440 minute time restriction for editing posts. TERRIBLE for the Buy/Sell forum, and should be turned off for that forum immediately.

Actually, it is good for BS/T. If you need to update, make a new post.

Bumping in BS/T is against the rules, but adding an update isn't...

Trotter said:
Actually, it is good for BS/T. If you need to update, make a new post.

Bumping in BS/T is against the rules, but adding an update isn't...

Often times, people will only check the first post though - if nothing there interests them, they'll click the back button.

I see NO way that it is "good" for the Buy and Sell forum.

Often times, people will only check the first post though - if nothing there interests them, they'll click the back button.

So we got stoopid people. What else is new?

I've learned to read through the threads. Some items are sold, somehave prices reduced.

Trotter said:
So we got stoopid people. What else is new?

I've learned to read through the threads. Some items are sold, somehave prices reduced.
Yes, but this surge of "stupid people" can hurt possible sales. I know I know - no skin off the admin's back, but it is a feature that just simply has no purpose in that forum.

I can see it's use in the other forums, where maybe a user wants to cover his/her tracks of stupidity or change the facts around or something, I can see the admin wanting to prevent secretive behavior like that.

But, in the buy/sell forum, information changes constantly. Price changes, item additions, sale statuses, etc. This information should be readily available at the first post (this is customary in most every forum with a buy/sell/trade section). Most users view a thread "oh, okay, that's what they have for sale. I'm not interested". But, let's say a day later, an item is added to the list - and that uninterested buyer would have been interested in the newly added item. Well, that item won't sell, because there can be no change to the topic subject to grab that person's attention, and any future sales of that item are pretty well fended off by putting that item's listing several posts into the thread. THIS is why it is customary to edit the first post in the thread, notifying people about changes of stock, price, sale status, etc. The thread title can be changed to say "updated on *date*", and more traffic sees the thread.

There are ZERO positive notes about this feature within this specific forum, therefore it should GO!

Example: I recently got an XBOX 360 controller, and want to sell it. My current buy/sell thread is about networking components, so I would like to add the item to the listing and change the title of the thread to notify people of the new stock addition. People will only see that I have an XBOX 360 controller for sale if they happen to be browsing my networking components, and also scroll down to see the last post. That is not good. Then, the message stating the time limit tells me to email the admin's email addy, which does not exist. GREAT system we have in place here on this forum...

I am posting this here so that the forum can be improved, and I am providing 100% valid reasons for my request. You seem to be trying to argue with me, giving reasons such as "Yeah, there are stupid people. Oh well". I hope somebody sees my logic on this one...

I see your logic, but this version of vB can't handle it that way.

If you have a new item, make it its own thread.

Besides, being able to legally bump your thread with an update keeps it at the top.

I've seen many vB boards with no time limit for editing posts...

Or are you talking about my suggestion to only remove it in the buy/sell forum?

Or are you talking about my suggestion to only remove it in the buy/sell forum?

Yes.

The 24 hour time limit was only started recently because some people were posting some stuff that shouldn't have been, and when they got caught, they'd go back and eliminate the evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom