New Proc & Mobo woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbOrdell

Solid State Member
I just bought a new Proc & Mobo with memory for an upgrade to an existing PC. When I booted for the first time everything looked good, memory checked OK, motherboard logo showed up and winxp started. Then I got a quick flash of a blue screen error (too fast to read) and the machine rebooted to a text screen telling me

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent HW or SW change may have caused this."

Then it gives me several different ways to load windows.

My plan was to put the old proc and mobo into my second PC in the same fashion. So I tried to upgrade the second PC and I get the following blue screen:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer... check for virus, remove new HW, and restart.."

I video taped the flashing blue screen on the fist PC and in playback it looks like it might be the same error message, but I'm not sure.

I'm I making some fundemental error here? Can one simply swap out mobos and procs and expect to boot from the existing HD and operating system? I was expecting some message from MS telling me I need to re-register the OS, but I was not expecting this.

Here's the details:

PC#1 Original Config
ASUS P4T533-C with P4 2.5, WinXP home
Replacement parts: Chaintech ZNF3-150 with AMD Athlon64 3400+

PC#2 Original Config
ASUS P2B-F with P3 500, winXP home
Replacement parts:
ASUS P4T533-C with P4 2.5

My weekend was all planned, now I'm sad. Please help??

Barb

Please clarify

Are you saying that what I've attempted is not possible? Looks like a repair install will force me to download SP1 and all the updates since then? Can you clarify what you think is going on here? Thanks!

Barb

data loss risk?

Thanks for the replies...

Is the risk of losing data during a repair limited to the partition containing the OS or could I lose data on my other partition or even my second HD? I'm guessing I could lose the capability to run apps on the other partition due to the registry changes, but the data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom