Sony System Recovery fails, now NTLDR is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherwoood

Beta member
(Sony Vaio PC, Windows XP Home)

I came home yesterday and started my computer - the BIOS loaded and then froze, so I force-restarted the computer. The BIOS loaded again, and this time followed with the screen "The computer was not properly shut down, choose whether to load into Safe Mode, Last Known Good Config or Normal", I initially tried "Normal", but it froze again. Restarting again, this time I selected Last Known Good, and again it froze on the screen. Finally I tried Safe Mode, after a few seconds of loading, it too froze up after mup.sys. I tried them all multiple times, same problem.

Resigning myself to losing my C: partition (nothing too important), I took out my System Restore CDs that came with the computer and ran it. At 70% done the first CD (There are two Restore CDs, #1 and #2), it gave an "Unknown Error" message box, and told me to restart. I tried again, same thing.

Now when I try to start up (without the CDs), the BIOS are followed by "NTLDR is Missing, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart", and if I try to start up with the CD, then I get the 70% error message.

I can't afford to lose my D: partition, but the C: is expendable, any help would be *very* much appreciated as I'm in over my head. The sooner the better, since there is stuff on the D: that I really need to retrieve ASAP (and back-up, now).

Thank you!

PS (Keep in mind, I have no way of reaching the desktop at the moment, so things like "Empty the Temp Folder" make no sense to me unfortunately, unless you can tell me how to do that from the BIOS screen. Also, I've seen the default Microsoft.com pages about NTLDR, they're not very helpful as they seem to deal with reverting back to Win98 or ME, or whatever they assume you were updating from. In my case, it was a system recovery using the Sony CDs...so that's no help)

Much thanks

"Boot to Disk", what disk?The Sony System Recovery disk? It freezes at 70% and gives an error message like I said. I don't have any other "disk"s, Windows came pre-installed on the computer.

"Do not repair from boot screen", I haven't seen that option, you mean without any CD in, after the BIOS it "could" (it doesn't for me) offer to repair?And that presumably would wipe my information on both partitions is the problem?

you need to install windows with an xp cd. leave the d partition alone. or you can boot with a bart pe cd and run the setup.exe from the hidden partition (recovery partition)

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate your taking the time to help out a stranger with their troubles :)

Where would I get an "XP Disk"? WIndows came prepackaged, and I just have the "System Recovery" CD which isn't working at this point. It doesn't let me "install", just "recover", and it's not working as I said. I assume phoning Microsoft, they're not just going to mail me a Windows XP CD, since that sort of opens itself to piracy, or is there some other place I can get ahold of such a CD?

Also, the term "bart pe" CD isn't familiar to me, so I just googled it. I assume I would create the CD on another computer, then boot up off of it on my own 'broken' computer? Would it then install the OS on its own, or would it do something else? The whole concept of "pre-installed" is throwing me.

Sherurcij said:

Where would I get an "XP Disk"? WIndows came prepackaged, and I just have the "System Recovery" CD which isn't working at this point. It doesn't let me "install", just "recover", and it's not working as I said. I assume phoning Microsoft, they're not just going to mail me a Windows XP CD, since that sort of opens itself to piracy, or is there some other place I can get ahold of such a CD?

yes they will. I know of a guy with the same problem as you (sony computer. my wife also has a sony computer too) and he called microsoft and they shipped him a brand new xp cd

Sherurcij said:
Also, the term "bart pe" CD isn't familiar to me, so I just googled it. I assume I would create the CD on another computer, then boot up off of it on my own 'broken' computer? Would it then install the OS on its own, or would it do something else? The whole concept of "pre-installed" is throwing me.

it will boot to your computer so that you will see your files. it should also see your hidden partition the also contain the recovery files.

give me your email so I can upload you a bart pe cd

here is a bart pe cd. burn it as a disc image with nero or alcohol 120

Code:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=E6A725F664575516

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom