Opteron 144 or Higher???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyV04988

Fully Optimized
Hey,

For gaming...Is it worth it to buy the 144 and OC it to like 2.6GHz or the 146 and take it to 2.8GHz? I know I know....nothings certain in OC'n but I have faith in them. Im wondering if it will make much difference with a 7900GT playing FEAR or something with a 2.4 vs a 2.8? is it really worth it. Will I be fine with 2.4-6GHz? It's a huge price jump, the 144 to the 146. Is it worth the extra OC potential? I'm trying to make ends meet for a college gaming beast finally and it seems like i need to throw in an LCD for space OUCH! :eek: I've had to drop down the hdd space to 250gb but wont settle for only a gig of ram lol. But back on subject...The cpu, will i notice a huge difference in 2.4 to a 2.8 or something?

the video card is more important than the processor. If you keep the 7900GT, you have to decide whether the sacrifices you make to get 146 are worth it.

What about them? AM2 is a total dissappointment and Conroe isn't out yet, (and won't be for some time.) I am sold on the opteron 939s, I'm just wondering if the difference in CPU speed/OC ability would make a big difference in FPS. I mean with a video card that fast, does 2.4-2.6 make a big difference?

no, a 200mHZ difference in CPU clock will not make much of a difference with a 7900 series card

sounds good then....I just want to be able to OC to something in the low-mid 2's and run every feakin game maxed out finally. Its been too long...far too long. I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to build this system and do that.

I mean 2gb or 1gb?
Do I neeeed 1/2 TB? lol
Am I ever going to USE SLI
(It seems the price to upgrade to next series is always cheaper than buying another card and keeping your old one too) but then again all the gooood boards come with SLI comp anyway.

I'm just trying to be realistic here. It's tricky!

lmao....

xp2000 1.66GHz
ti4200
512mb
80gb

Ya I need an upgrade really bad. I'm amazed it still plays some great games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom