Is this PC burned out or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnelson8611

Baseband Member
I am new to the PC Tech world and I have my first client... a friend who has decided to submit her PC to have me look at what could be wrong with it.
Well, I haven't got the chance to look at it yet (long distance to travel), but I already have a couple of clues as to what its doing.
This is only here-say, but I was told that
1. the CD burner doesn't burn (50% of cd burns then error msg)
2. the speakers do not work
3. very slow
4. doesn't connect to internet (when there is a connection)

This PC is only about 2 years old... it is Win XP
If anyone has any ideas as to what could be wrong let me know and once I take a look at it, I will post the specs of this computer.

Thanks ;)

Specs on Burnt PC

This is what I've compiled so far about this system:

Pentium 4 Processor 1.80 GHZ
256 MB Ram
80 GB HDD

she has had a lot of problems with spyware (which I figure is one part for computer being slow), and with my knowledge I do not think she has enough memory to handle everything that she does on this computer.
She usually uses this for games, media, and internet
That is all I could gather about the computer, but will post if you need more.

I would love some help to get this thing to run properly!

i'd just reformat, reinstall, teach her how to defrag the hard drive regularly, and grab her a copy of Search&Destroy.
The RAM is probably fine enough if she defrags the machine regularly and keeps it free of spyware.

I happened to check out the CD burner and it works. Don't see what the problem was for her... worked good.

I just posted this on another thread...this is just for helping to speed up the computer:

-- Delete all temp files (c:\windows\temp\*.tmp)

-- Delete temporary internet files (c:\windows\temporary internet files\*.*)

-- If you use I.E., click on Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files, select "delete all off-line content", click OK

-- Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, Systems Tools, Disk Cleanup

-- Download Diskeeper and defragment your computer

-- Download AdAware, check for updates, run it and remove whatever it finds

Hedda Lora

I installed more RAM, reformatted the drive, and reinstalled the o.s. on her computer. It works okay now. I was thinking since she has had problems with adware... and adaware couldn't remove a lot of the ad's, that was the best solution to the problem. Thank you for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom