processes grow in size after a while...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radium02

Baseband Member
Hello there!

I am having a bit of a problem with my computer, here goes:

First, my specs:
WIN XP PRO (came installed) SP2
3.2 GHZ
INTEL Pentium 4 with HT
1.75 GB RAM (1GB + 512 MB + 256MB)
600 GB Hard drive (SATA)

Problem:

I leave my computer on all the time (I hardly turn it off unless I go on vacation or something.) After a couple of days of use, I notice that a lot of the processes in task manager which used up 3 - 4 MB (or a low amount) of memory now use up a lot more (like 30 - 40 MB). When I restart the computer, they go back to where they originally were (3 - 4 MB). The processes are for my UPS, tv tuner, volume utility, AIM (everything which stays idle, nothing major).

The memory usage for these processes basically "grows" after a couple of days, and I feel it is just using up unnecessary RAM.

What can this be?!

No traces of spyware or viruses on this computer, you can be sure of that. I use SpySweeper (which I run every other night) and I know my ways around the internet to keep that kind of junk off the computer.

If anyone could shed some light on this issue that I am having, I would truly appreciate it. If you need any more information, please ask, and I will provide it as soon as possible.

Thanks!! have a good one

Could it possible be bad RAM? I have checked the hardware though using diagnostics utility like MemTest and the Windows utility, and they did not report an error.

About 9. They have to do with the sound card, the tv tuner app, adobe, and SpySweeper.

Yes actually. But I monitor what runs in my background all the time. And they hardly take up any memory. AT least 25 of them are under 1,345 K.

I'm not entireley sure what a memory leak is, but after doing some research, I do seem to have very similar symptoms of an occurance. However, a "memory leak" occurs with bad code in a script. But my issue is with MANY processes.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom