Home Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to differ on this m8 but cable modem will not work with a hub ( at least this is what i have found )
What you need to do is first decide which is going to be your main pc and put two network cards in it one for the cable modem and one to conect to other pc
then set up the pc with the cable modem on its own first , then connect to other pc via network card
and there you go just set up file sharing etc with your local network

Both pc's have Windows 98. I'm thinking about upgrading one to Windows XP. Can they be different when networking? yes they can be different op systems

Attachments

• 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 0
I hate to differ on this m8 but cable modem will not work with a hub ( at least this is what i have found )
What you need to do is first decide which is going to be your main pc and put two network cards in it one for the cable modem and one to conect to other pc
then set up the pc with the cable modem on its own first , then connect to other pc via network card
and there you go just set up file sharing etc with your local network

Both pc's have Windows 98. I'm thinking about upgrading one to Windows XP. Can they be different when networking? yes they can be different op systems

Just cheecked and TopLoader is rignt "cable modem will not work with a hub"

so do it the way TopLoader said DMo224

cheers

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 2
Just cheecked and TopLoader is rignt "cable modem will not work with a hub"

so do it the way TopLoader said DMo224

cheers

More Questions?!

I have a 3Com ethernet card in each of my pc's. Separate from the card for the external cable modem. A regular phone line will plug into them, but I was told that I need Cat5 cable because of having cable modem.

So, got the cable and it seems the connections are too large to plug in. :mad:

Ok, more suggestions?

What info do you need from me?

Attachments

• 269.jpg
    269.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 270.jpg
    270.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 271.jpg
    271.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
More Questions?!

I have a 3Com ethernet card in each of my pc's. Separate from the card for the external cable modem. A regular phone line will plug into them, but I was told that I need Cat5 cable because of having cable modem.

So, got the cable and it seems the connections are too large to plug in. :mad:

Ok, more suggestions?

What info do you need from me?

Ok had a chat with a mate about it.

Are you sure they are 3Com ethernet cards? cause he seems to think they are modems. He said:
"sounds like you're trying to plug an Ethernet cable into a modem. The modem uses standard phone jacks (RJ-11), and the Ethernet uses RJ-45.
Easy to tell at a glance....RJ-45 is larger than RJ-11 connector.

Gonna need a 10/100 Ethernet card for each machine...combine that with a Linksys router (or comparable router) and you're golden....."

cheers

Attachments

• 299.jpg
    299.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
Ok had a chat with a mate about it.

Are you sure they are 3Com ethernet cards? cause he seems to think they are modems. He said:
"sounds like you're trying to plug an Ethernet cable into a modem. The modem uses standard phone jacks (RJ-11), and the Ethernet uses RJ-45.
Easy to tell at a glance....RJ-45 is larger than RJ-11 connector.

Gonna need a 10/100 Ethernet card for each machine...combine that with a Linksys router (or comparable router) and you're golden....."

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom