Help With Defrag??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replikant

Baseband Member
Go easy on me & speak plain English, i'm a total civilian re computers. OK, i have Windows 98 2nd, & when i try to defrag disc C the animated graphic moves but nothing else seems to happen, the % stays at 0 & there is no other graphic activity. Alsao, should i check for disc errors, & what do i do if i find any? Thanks!

With Windows 98, you have to ScanDisk, and then Defrag. At least, that was the only way I ever got mine to do it.

OK, so i need to buy defrag software to do this, it seems. Which is the best for the money?

No, it's in Windows (although after market is better). I dunno which one(s) would work with 98.

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools. Use ScanDisk first. Then Defrag.

Uh, help, anyone? It's a teknojungle out there...

btw, i was under the impression that Spyware Doctor is good but i suddenly started getting popups after i installed it, when i was shutting down.....i never had any before, or very few.

Well, if you want to try other defrag software, I suggest trying the O&O Defrag free trial. It's a great program. I am not sure if it's compatible with Windows 98 but I'd assume that it is.

Only works with XP & up, according to the website. But is the Windows version already in my browser? If so where would i find it?

I've been running Scandisc but get an error message saying it has restarted 10 times due to Windows or some other program writing to the disc. But i have no clue what the source of the trouble could be.....anyway i can find out without hiring help? Will it help if i list for you what's on my control panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom