New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pookie

Beta member
Hello...I am new to the forums and have been reading a lot on this website recently.

I have been wanting a really good gaming PC for sometime now and have been looking around at different PCs on the internet. What I found was that they were very expensive and had a lot of things I didn't want/need. I decided that I will build my own gaming PC. However, before I begin purchasing the parts I want to make sure everything will work.

If you could please respond and tell me whether this configuration will work or not that would be LOADS of help. I would hate to purchase all the parts and then find out that something doesn't work with another part. :(

I will list all the parts along with a link to the part as posted on newegg.

Let's begin:

Processor: AMD 64 FX-60
Motherboard: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4
RAM: Corsair XMS 2GB TwinX
Video Card: XFX Geforce 7950GX2
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 250GB Hard Drive
Tower: Tai-Chi VB5001sna
Power Supply: COOLMAX CW-650T 650W Aluminum
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2025WM 20.1" DVI 8ms
Optical Drive: SONY 16X DVD±R DVD DWQ120AB2

Hmm...I believe that is it. That totals to about $3070 I think. I will be using the mouse, keyboard, and speakers from my other PC and will be purchasing Windows XP Professional as an OS.

If I am forgetting anything, if one part is not compatible with another, or you have any suggestions on how to make this any better and still hover around $3000...I am all ears.

Thank you for any future help. :eek:

hmammen said:
umm no buy it then ship it to my address for further inspection.....;)

j/k very nice build

Thank you :D

One other thing...Does anyone know where I can get another pump and more coolant for the case?

I read on newegg some of the reviews and there are some posts saying how occasionally the pump kinks/breaks. I was wondering where I can buy a backup just in case. I looked on the thermaltake website and couldn't find any. :(

I am a noob to liquid cooling so if I didn't use the right terms please correct me.

You're wasting your $$$ on the FX60 - you should get something like an Opteron 170 and overclock it since you're getting water cooling. (may want to get some OCZ gold ram also and upgrade your motherboard to the SLI-DR.)

Get dual (RAID 0) 74GB 16MB cache raptors also.

You should be able to use any 3/8" inch pump but it may not fit well.

turtile said:
(may want to get some OCZ gold ram also and upgrade your motherboard to the SLI-DR.)

When you say I may also want to upgrade my motherboard to the SLI-DR...isn't the motherboard I'm thinking of getting already SLI-DR? I thought it was, maybe not though.

It all looks good.

However, I would recomend that you wait a few more weeks and get an Intel Conroe Core 2 Extreme instead.

Good job on picking out the stuff, it looks good and definetly compatible, but I could never recommend an FX-60 to anyone. It's just too overpriced, even after the recent price drop imo. My opinion is get an X2 4800 or an Opteron 165/170.

And yeah, as the above poster said, if you could wait on the Intel Core Duos you'd probably be happy. You can save a lot of money and get better performance compared to the FX-60 build. And AMD's prices will also drop a good amount the day they're released (however not the FX-60), so keep that in mind.

Ok sorry to hijack this thread, I'm very tempted to sell you my setup that would outperform your current setup.

Opteron 165 5 days old, Abit An8-sli, OCZ 1gb 2x512 DDR500 Gold Edition Ram. That whole setup for 550 shipped. That is less than your processor by itself and my 165 can run 2.6GHZ with no problems.

But if you really have that much money, I would totally save up for a Conroe setup!

ulater6000 said:
It all looks good.

However, I would recomend that you wait a few more weeks and get an Intel Conroe Core 2 Extreme instead.

my thoughts exactly. For the sound card, get an X-Fi instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom