Failed Windows install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie578

In Runtime
I had 3 HDDs installed. My main one was split into 2 partitions. One partition had win xp and the other had all my data i wanted to keep because i was gonna format. The other 2 hdds also had data i wanted to keep. I started to install windows 2k from a disk that i know works. After it formatted my windows partition it copied files to it then reboot. And now its usually supposed to start installing windows and everything, but i just got a black screen. After i decided it wouldnt work, i rebooted and same thing. I started the windows CD again and the list of HDDs showed that my main drive showed like 4 partitions now and 2 were unformatted and 2 had no label. (not exactly sure what it said). I got another HDD and installed win2k on it from the same disk and it worked, THat was the only HDD installed at the time. THen i put in my main hdd and it was read as like 127 and the only folder was WINNT. I think this same partition was auctually 131GB in my windows xp instalation. I Used hiren's boot CD 8 and parition manager sees my main hdd as one damaged partition. Now i ran A different partition manager and it sees this HDD as having 4 partitions. One is Free (File system) and 80.4GB. The other is Free and 23.6GB. ANother is Invalid and is 812GB. And the last is 259GB. THe two invalid patitons have no label and are not active and are hidden. The other two have blank labels, are not hidden, and are not active either. However, on the top where it shows a graph of the partitions. It says the Drive is 232GB (Which it is) and the different sections are a size proportinate to the flase reading it gives. I really would like to save my data. Once i can gain access to it I will burn it all off. I was thinking to install winxp on the hdd that i installed win2k on or putting it in my bro's pc with winxp already on it. Please Help....

i would go ahead a use HDD recovery 1.31. thats worked for me so many times in the past with stuff like your getting. idk if you ever used it but what it does is re writes the alogorithm(bad spelling lol) on the disk with out losing your data. i would give that a shot first. it takes a while cuz it reads every sector on your disk for errors and you can see if ever sector in your HDD is bad then your out of luck pretty much but it still trys to repair it. so give that a shot before anything.

even if Windows does not regognize the partition with my data? Right now im only seeing the partition which it formatted and started to copy windows onto. Ill pop it into an XP instalation later and see if it sees both partitions

HDD recovery 1.31 is a dos based program you boot it with a floppy and let it do the rest. it ignores all file systems and formats and what not and just focuses on the 1's and 0's of the hard drive. it repairs bad sectors that cause these types of errors.

ooo that sounds like it might work then! Link please i see a bunch of ramdom things when i google and this sounds like it might work and i dont want to get the wrong thing. U know how it is.

do u reccoment 1.31 over the newer versions or will they work the same/better? 1.51 is inclued in hiren's boot CD 8.

OK, it went for like 30+ hours and i didnt see it finish so i dont know if it found any bad sectors but when i went into windows the partition didnt show. Im trying a bunch of HDD utilities on Hiren's. Just so i understand my problem, what does winows2k do when it formats one partition on a HDD with two?

YOu can recover all or most of those lost files: GET DATA BACK. It is a wonderful and relatively inexpensive data recovery tool. It saved my butt after I installled XP on the wrong drive:

http://www.runtime.org/

Not only did it get my files back but it put them back into the same folders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom