Is Conroe that much better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benny, It saddens me to no end to see how you're justifying yourself. You're basing your entire argument off a totally flawed belief.

The benchmarks need to be run at 800x600 or similar low resolutions because thats when you test the power of the CPU. When you "turn up the heat" as you say, the video card becomes a bottleneck and restricts the FPS.

Look at the comparison at 1024x768. 162FPS for 2.4Ghz Conroe, and 125 FPS for 2.8Ghz FX-62.

Now look at the Splinter Cell 1600x1200 comparisons. 64 FPS for Conroe, and 63FPS for the FX-62.

That is called a GPU bottleneck, buddy. The videocard is holding them both back, AMD isn't "putting Intel is it's place." They're both being limited by the videocard that is being used, the comparison is not showing the actual power of the CPUs.

At lower resolutions, the videocard is powerful enough to not hold anything back, and let the CPUs shine. Thats why all the major reviewers run CPU benchmarks at such low resolutions, to test the power of the CPU, not to see how the game is played. The point isn't the 100+ FPS thats going on, the point is to show the almost budget Conroe being 1.4x as powerful at the FX-62.

The rest of the world seems to have realized that as soon as they saw the benchmark. Its people like you who're going to ruin this place to h3ll if you don't start learning your stuff.

Nubius said:
Yeah, cause as I've said a hundred billion times at this forum. The CPU doesn't bottleneck a graphics card.

Yeah, if you have this new 96 pipelined card with a 3000+, then OF FREAKIN COURSE the CPU will technically be the least updated piece in there and OF COURSE your score will be lower than that of someone sporting an FX-60 or something like that.

That is not because the CPU is bottlenecking it.

People seem to not even think about what a bottleneck even is.

Two components talking to each other. One having to WAIT on the other as a result of the other being too slow is a bottleneck. The graphics card NEVER has to wait for the CPU or vice versa to finish instructions before the other can go on.

It's not really that hard to understand. It's like in the case of the dude who had some 7xxx series AGP card on a Socket A board. Because of being on a socket A system, he won't score as high in benchmarks as someone on a socket 939 system, but it's not because his card is bottlenecked, it's the fact that the rest of the system is at it's limit as far as calculations go. If the graphics card was forced to WAIT, THEN..........THEN you'd have a bottleneck.

but whatever, I told myself I'd stop explaining this crap, because people can't seem to wrap their heads around it.

as said in the post above by nubius, they dont have to wait for each other. They are completly separate.

Yea...Um...Nubius was wrong, dude. Go visit other forums, those same benchmarks are linked all over the internet. Go check out OC Fourms, HardOCP Forums, Anandtech Forums. Bottlenecks are as real as it gets.

lol nice first post JustWow... and so true.... and for all you AMD fanboys (i used to be one) u just have to realize, a $315 chip beats a $1100 chip, so if u want the $1100 chip, get it, no ones stoppin you, you buy wut u want, it just makes more since to get the cheaper chip if it beats the more expensive one. I'm gettin the Allendale E6300 (Allendale is a conroe with half the L2 cache 2MB for those who dont kno) and so wut, it doesnt beat the FX-62, but its still a ****in good chip for bein $180, you OC it and it will be close if not better than the FX-62.

btw Nitestick, if you dont trust the OCin, check out XS, a bunch of ppl have them and are OCin them with Air, water, and even vapor coolin. But you really dont even need to OC the Conroe to get good performance, i mean a X2 3800+ will run what ever you throw at it, let alone havin a chip better than the FX-62.

....cant wait to see what AMD's chip is like when it comes.....

meefle I hope your not calling me a AMD fanyboy.

Yes I own AMD.

Yes I know Intel will crush AMD.

I am not biased.

I use whats best and what works for me.

And in my sistuation AMD was best for me so I bought it.

I cant wait to buy an E6600 yummy :):)

JustWow... said:
Here AnthraX, here's the link to the same benchmarks on a thread on HardOCP Forums.

Pay special attention to the comments about the gaming benchmarks. There will be people that are correct, and people that are incorrect. Pay attention, and you will know which is which.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1058177

alright cool Il check it out :)

btw I love HardOCP ..., they are really mature there :D

i'm not callin anybody a "fanboy" i was just sayin for all those fanboys out there.... and i have nothin against AMD fanboys, Nvidia Fanboys, ATI fanboys, etc. just dont say other company's products are crap.... I'll admit, i'm a HUGE ATI fanboy and i get ****ed off when ppl (mostly nvidia fanboys) say crap about ATI and their drivers and stuff, NOTHIN IS PERFECT!

I have nothin against AMD either, its just i want the best performance for my money since i dont have a money tree in my back yard... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom