How to cool a Prescott???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfwalls

Baseband Member
Alright, I've got a P4 3.0ghz on a Intel board, and this thing is HOT! The stock fan does okay, and it stays in acceptable temps under normal load, but if I run a game that needs a lot of CPU than it gets real hot. Temps are exceeding 68* and going into the 70* to 72* range.

I just bought one those Freezer 7 pro fans and heatsink, and was very disappointed. My temps were the same on my CPU with this unit, but then my Northbridge temps went into the red! These temps are also with the side of my case removed! With the side on the temps go up by about 5*.

What I want to know is if there is a cooling system you guys would recommend? I don't really care about the noise, but I'd like to try and avoid liquid cooling if possible.

Prescott Pentium 4 processors are known to run extremly hot, but they are built to handle them tempertures, but once they get to hot they start to throttle and slow down terribly trying to prevent damage to the core.

WOW, my prescott never got that hot, even on stock coolin, maybe your temp program or sensor is bad, maybe its not, you could buy a tower heatsink (Scythe Cool Miner, Scythe Ninja, TT Big Typhoon, Tuniq Tower, etc.), do some wire arrangements, get some more (or better) case fans and increase case airflow, you could also try this (which i'm goin to do soon): http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105541

but definitely get a nice heatsink on there, and make sure you have good airflow throughout your case, that prescott is runnin really hot

How to cool a Prescott???

with this:

zalman_big_cooler.jpg

Did you apply the AS5/thermalpaste correctly?

lol nice, i like that cigarette pack sittin next to it ;)

yea like trifid, check ur thermalpaste, too much can actually cause the CPU to run hotter

I think size is definately an issue for what I buy. Here's a pic of my MOBO with the stock fan. My PSU is at the top. Also, I've just been leaving the side panel off to keep the hot air from building up.

cpuGUTS.jpg

I think the fan needs to blow down in order to keep the northbridge cool also. That temperature went way up when I put the Freezer 7 on, and I think it was because the fan didn't blow down.

I think the blue orb would work, but I don't think it'll fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom