Need help clearing disk space...!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rancidgdx

Beta member
Ok, when i first bought my comp. it had 38.2 GB in it, now it only has 3.66 and i dont know where all the memory went, i mean the biggest files i have are: Vice city - 1,501.00MB, Counter-strike - 1,202.00MB, Steam - 951.00MB and i have a bunch of other stuff thats like 1-16MB(like 20 other programs). And i just uninstalled a program that was 100MB and my disk space only went up like .50. Does any1 know how i could get more disk space? Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.
-Jon

Take a nice big electromagnet and put it up to your harddrive. That should fix it. ;)

Ok, enough being mean....You're best bet is just to go through each and every folder and get rid of the files you don't need. It could take a while, but it's the best way to do it.

that would take forever, i would either get a new hard disk or just save all your important data to another storage device or disk volume. use the restore CD to restore your system, and copy the data back to it. who knows where all that disk space went to. a new hard disk is the easiest solution, they cost about $60-120. i would get a 120GB at least.

A few things.

What you might want to do is try and find out what folders are hogging all the space.
mikesgroovin has suggested to me the following a program called FILE TREE
This does not clean up your hard drive, but it will help point out what directories are taking up space.

The other thing is run
Evidence Eliminator as it just a proper job of clearing out your internet cache.
I used once many years ago, I manage to get myself another 1Gb on my hard drive.

And failing that, it either buy a bigger hard drive or back up your static data to CD/DVD-ROM

What I meant by my first post was just to go through, and go on a deleting rampage.....i sugested it because it's rather stress relieving..... =P

depending on how much u space u have told windows it can use for restore points if u have xp it could be eating up 3 or 4 gigs. i deleted all my restore points that were over a month old and the computer would have never restored back that far neways and i got about 3 gigs

correction: i didnt erase the ones that were a mth old, thats kinda confusing as it doesnt let u delete individual restore points but it will let u erase all but the most recent one or all of them if u shut it off completely do that and c how much space u get, and clear ur ie cache

Heres the real solution....

What you really need to do is optimize your hard drive. A feature only available in Norton Utillities.

Right now, your files are all over the place in your hard drive's directory. Norton Speed Disk (which is available in Norton Utillities) restores all of your files (Including free space) and folders into their rightful. places on the disk. But be warned. It will take a vary long time to conmplete, but keep in mind that it
will be worth it.:cool:

www.symantec.com

isnt this about reclaiming disc space, defragging isnt gonna free up space, it will run better but thats not the objective here

and nortons optimizer is im guessing the exact same thing is windows defragger. its prolly a little bit better cuz its not windows based but still the same concept. so norton is not the only place to do that

perhaps some of the space is really there and winblows is just being retarded and thinks its bein used. ive run chkdsk before and found space that is free that is marked allocated so try that, type chkdsk at the command prompt, if it finds nething type chkdsk /f to schedule a fix at the next boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom