Dear Lord Help Me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mk97 said:
is it an AM2 system?

Nubius is correct. I can't even get it to post. I have a stupid question though. I'm not sure I have the FPaudio cable hooked in the right spot. Where should it go?

No, it's not an AM2.

lol, how should I know where it goes? It's your board. I'm talking about the 4pin (straight in a row) PC speaker that's connected on the jumpers that's in the same bunch of jumpers as the power button, reset button, HD LED, etc..etc..

sounds like its grounded. If you did the take it out thing, and it still wont post, then rma the board. (btw dude, i cant imagine how you feel right now.)

This happened to me a while back, when i tried to put an old dell board in a new case because i had to rma my mobo because the cpu slto was screwed. Anyways, it worked fine, but nothing cae on the screen. When the mobo came back, i took out the dell, and there was a screw under it htat had been grounding it to the case the whole time. That might be your problem

Maybe I just don't have everything hooked up right. After all, this is my first time. lol

Direct me to a good step by step rundown. I've already given the 'how to build' post a look here. Really didnt help me much..........Im already to far in. LOL

sounds like its grounded. If you did the take it out thing, and it still wont post, then rma the board. (btw dude, i cant imagine how you feel right now.)
No way dude...there could be a number of things wrong here. Just because it doesn't post when taking out of the system doesn't mean you should RMA it. It means you've ruled out the possibility of grounding issue being the cause.

TonCrafter - There's not a whole lot to it man. Put everything in it's appropriate slots. Surely you know where IDE cables, SATA cables, and power cables go. The part with the jumpers is in the mobo manual, but if you're hitting power and it's attempting to turn it on then you've got those plugged in right.

Toss RAM and vid card in and bam. If you've powered up your computer, then you've built it right, there's just a little something getting in your way which happens frequently when building a comp from scratch.

Make sure you have all the connections on the mobo plugged in:

The 4pin molex connector near the PCI-E and the 4x Pin CPU power connector up near the CPU, and naturally the 20/24pin power connector.

Make sure the RAM and Video card are properly seated. Try removing them and putting back in making sure to put appropriate weight on them so that they go down. These components can take quite a bit before they break. (I just recently snapped a dead RAM stick in half, it's durable :p)

Make sure it isn't something silly like you forgot to put the CMOS jumper back to normal position if you had tried clearing it previously.

If you've done all the troubleshooting I told ya then I dont know. You'll need to start trying things like the RAM and vid card in another system to make sure those work.

Then it'll be down to either being the mobo or CPU.

Thanks, Nubius. You've pointed out one thing I know Ive done wrong now. :) I don't have the 4-pin CPU Power connector plugged in. I saw that plug, but I don't see a cord to attach to it. Is it a cord coming directly off the PSU?

Is it a cord coming directly off the PSU?
Yeah....recently my teacher had bought a PSU and that little 4 pin connector was actually attached to the side of the main 20/24pin connector. You slid it off and it became two seperate cords so you might check that.

If it's your standard ATX PSU then it will have it. There isn't a PSU out there that wont have it assuming it's an up-to-date PSU which yours obviously is.

Nubius said:
Yeah....recently my teacher had bought a PSU and that little 4 pin connector was actually attached to the side of the main 20/24pin connector. You slid it off and it became two seperate cords so you might check that.

If it's your standard ATX PSU then it will have it. There isn't a PSU out there that wont have it assuming it's an up-to-date PSU which yours obviously is.

Sure enough.............4 pin was attached to 20pin connector. So, I took the 4pin off, plugged it in and now my 20pin has 4 empty slots directly to the left of it now. Sound right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom