X800 XL AGP Card- better then 6600GT AGP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Rider

Solid State Member
http://search.ncix.com/displayproductdetail.php?sku=18587&vpn=100-714500&manufacture=ATI

Yeah, so this is the graphics card I'm looking at: All In Wonder x800 XL AGP. I know all of you will probably say it is time to upgrade to PCI-Express mobo and things along those lines, but I'm not up to it and I'm on a tight budget. I right now have 64MB integrated graphics and I want to update to this so I could play newer games like BF2, F.E.A.R, World of Warcraft, and Elder Scrolls 4 atleast decently. Do you think this card is better then a 6600GT AGP, the other card I'm looking at?

Secondly, I want to know if my general idea for upgrades is a good idea...here is my current setup, its ok for everything but gaming.

AGP Motherboard(Don't know its name...it has 3 PCI and 1 AGP)
Intel Pentium 4 3.00E Ghz Proccesor with HT Technology
2x256MB Kingston DDR RAM PC3200
64MB Intel Integrated Graphics
160GB Hard Drive

If, let's say I added the x800 XL AGP and 512MB of more RAM, do you think I'd be able to play some of the more newer games decently? Aside from that, would I see great improvements in other computing aside from gaming, like in movie playing and multi-tasking?

First off 1GB of RAM is certainly a good idea.

The X800XL seems to be the better card to get in that price range ($100-$200), as long as you don't mind the lack of SM3.0. Other than that, you'll be able to run games at higher settings, and better resolutions than you would with a 6600GT or a X1600Pro even.

If you were concerned about SM3, you could get a 6600GT or a 6800XT which is still in the same price range. You could also spring for a few extra $ and get a 7800GS, which will give you the best AGP card available ($300).

Regardless which card you choose, if you get any of the mentioned, you will be able to play current games with at least decent settings.

I'd get the x800 card and the gig of ram is a great idea too, like Elbatrop said. The games you've mentioned should run on medium settings, maybe even a little higher on a configuration like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom