New PC Won't Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorsoft

Fully Optimized
Well, I'm having problems with my new build, the one in my sig. I put everything together and it worked beautifully the first time I booted it up. When I got it home and turned it on it gave me a checksum error and I figured oh great the cmos battery is dead. I decided to get one later and loaded the defaults. I installed all of my programs on the new pc and then unplugged it and set it in a corner for like a week while I got all of my old files off of my previous pc and reformatted that one. Well, tonight I plugged my new pc in, intent to play Oblivion in all of it's glory, when it came up with an error about not having a Bios something or other. Flipping through the Asus manual I saw that I had to insert the mobo cd to reinstall the bios. So I did that and now when my computer boots it will give me one long beep then two short beeps, and display nothing on my monitor. This beep code means a video card problem according to Asus, but it doesn't make any sense since the video was working like 10 minutes before hand. Also, if I restart the pc after getting these beeps (without replugging it in) it will consistently bring me to a blank screen with no beeps, sound, or anything. it will access my opticals and hd then sit idley. If I replug the pc in (reconnect the power cord) it gives me the beep code again.
I highly doubt that the graphics card is the problem here as it was working earlier fine and I didn't touch it. I am certain, at least for right now, that this is a problem with the cmos\bios\mobo. I have also tried resetting the cmos and installing a new battery, but that hasn't seemed to do anything.
I am going to my dad's house tomorrow, which sucks because we'll have to fix my new pc before we can dive right into a gaming session :(
All help with this is really appreciated, I really want to get my baby working again!

it might sound sily,but i had the same prob with this hp a few weeks ago, try making sure ur processor heatsink isnt on backwards and choppin the processor in half, and make sure that the ram is inserted fully. if that dont work, then call asus and tell em ur prob, and see if they can send u a replacment mobo. the reason i say ram, is because when movin the tower, one of em mighta came loose, and same with processor heat sink, it mighta moved and jabbed ur processor. i did that on this pullin an alnighter doing a complete system cleaning, and did that and lost a 1.6ghz p3 and had to go back to 1.3, then that faded to 996mhz, so yea. i have run some system scans on thsi and it says its got an asus mobo, but wont tell me model, and the mobo is blank, no letters except for jumper assignment for bios clear. so pretty much just make sure that everything is snug and tight up in there, and if all else fails, call asus support

Well, here's where we are. I've reset the cmos, reset all of the power, ide, sata, etc. plugs, and installed yet another cmos battery and it still won't post. No beeps seem to come out of it at all now, just a blank screen so it's not even getting far enough through the bios to send info to video. I've also tried swapping the pci x16 graphics card for a regular pci one in case that was the problem, but it didn't change anything. My dad and I are just going to reinstall the whole pc now, hopefully that will get us somewhere but I'm really doubting it at this point. Right now I'm convinced that my mobo is dead one way or the other.
It doesn't make sense since it worked as recently as a few days ago without any problems, then I unplugged it and I get this as a result. Maybe I screwed up the BIOS when I reflashed it from the cd, but there's really no way to do that and even if that were the case it would just ask for the cd again. SO yeah, it really seems that my Asus motherboard is dead, most likely I'll have to RMA it.

thats a shame.....such a nice board:D

make sure nothing is shorting out the motherboard?

even a single riser in the wrong place can do it...

Yeah, we're takinga break from it now but we're going to go for the gusto and totally rebuild this thing from start to finish. I hope that's all it is, just a messed up riser or something. It's really seems to me it's the bios but it's just not making sense. But when we rebuild and it still doesn't work it's just a short call to Asus to either get some more advice or an rma. It's totally sucks but what are you gonna do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom