What's faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RAID 0 will be good for a second or two off the load time. But having a RAID array will add time to boot. I say go for a single big drive, as these are more dense then the raptor, so will read the data faster (if the raptor was running at 7200.)

so if the raids faster, isnt it better to get say 2 250gb hdds in a raid 1, costing £120, instead of a £110 74gb raptor?

I have 2 raptors in NON raid mode... one 36 and the other a 74,.. and it only takes about 30 seconds or so to load from boot up. but they are right... they do run louder and I have found out if you don't have good cooling a little hotter... but not to much to damage anything just ups the ambient temp in the case...

hmammen said:
the raptor would definately be faster.....the number of drives doesnt matter if you are just geting your information from one drive, but the 10,000rpm is much faster then the 7200rpm
The number of drives certaintly matter. Disk Striping, the point of raid?

Well, apperently a RAID 0 doesn't help in the way most think. Someone who's pretty good from another fourm sshowed me an article that went over how a RAID 0 doesn't really help out like people think.

http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=SingleDriveVsRaid0

So I think I'll go with the Raptor. It's one of the newer models, so it should be a bit better sound, heat wise. Plus at 16mb cache it should own.

I love my raptor.

Its not loud at all..

well....

I dont think it is...

It was a beast though when XP was installing for the first time :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom