Windows Genuine Advantage problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubicon99

Solid State Member
Let me say first that I have an original and genuine copy of WinXP. I have used this copy to rebuild my machine many times and never had any problem with activation or the genuine advantage check when downloading from Microsoft.com. Actually I've recently downloaded the beta versions of IE7 and WMP 11. Both have been running fine.

Tonight my machine hung for quite a while and then the genuine advantage icon popped up notifying me I have a pirated version of win xp. As my machine was experiencing some issues at the time and I knew the popup was crap, I rebooted.

During the boot up the genuince advantage screen popped up saying the same thing and asked if I wanted to resolve or not. I clicked resolve and the boot continued and then basically died.

I then cold booted successfully with no genuine advantage popup and accessed microsoft.com whereupon I downloaded the world cup soccer application that requires a genuine advantage check (which I passed).

Anyone have any idea why this happened? Could a system problem leave my computer in such a state that could confuse the genuine check?

I'm at a loss.

Thanks

Dave

microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

I had an odd occurance where it said I had a illegal copy. It has sicne gone away.

I think something is blocking the call home feature for the genuine tool microsoft uses. If it cant call home, it seems like this error message will appear. I have this happen to me here at work on a legit copy of xp, our vlk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom