HELP my Computer's Possesed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Athlon XP's heat up more than P4's do, but they can tolerate about 70 max, P4's melt at about 60
if it has worked fine for a year, and has only stopped working now, it may be.... possessed!
the only solution is to burn it!

nah joking
I think the BIOS might be dead

FireFox said:
Good point ebolaosu, it sounds like he doesn't have a powerful enough powersupply. How many watts does your powersupply pump out iammagi?

250 WATTS

iammagi,

that power supply isn't big enough, imo. For a P4 processor with a hard drive and optical drive, I'd be looking at a minimum 350 W, and preferably 400W.

My computer at home has a P4, 2 DVD drives, hard drive, video card, and a couple of other things, and I needed about a 450 W power supply.

hilowe said:
iammagi,

that power supply isn't big enough, imo. For a P4 processor with a hard drive and optical drive, I'd be looking at a minimum 350 W, and preferably 400W.

My computer at home has a P4, 2 DVD drives, hard drive, video card, and a couple of other things, and I needed about a 450 W power supply.

Sounds like a good idea. I run a 4 line dialogic card. Is there anything I should know about power supplies. Are all 400 watt one's created equal? What's the max I should spend?

apokalipse said:
Athlon XP's heat up more than P4's do, but they can tolerate about 70 max, P4's melt at about 60
if it has worked fine for a year, and has only stopped working now, it may be.... possessed!
the only solution is to burn it!

nah joking
I think the BIOS might be dead

Now the power light stays off but the fans run and the hard drive light glows constantly. Won't boot up though. Would a dead processor cause the power light to not go on?

"I've got the Power......"

:cool:It got you to huh?
Unfortunateley my problem got allot worse than yours until i put a picture of Jesus in between my heat sink and my "Processor fan".

Maybe you just need a bigger heatsink or a more powerfull fan....:cool:

iammagi said:
Now the power light stays off but the fans run and the hard drive light glows constantly. Won't boot up though. Would a dead processor cause the power light to not go on?

Is this after you put a 450w power supply in? Cuz if you haven't put a new power supply in, that would definitely explain something. Try the power supply first. Is the fan in the power supply running (i.e. blowing air out of the computer) properly? Is it making more noise than it used to?

Are you getting any beep codes at all? Hard drive light comes on and doesn't switch off, that means it's getting power. Not getting any instructions though. Suggests that power's not getting through the mobo.

Make sure all the cables from the power supply are connected properly. If the power to the motherboard is P8/P9, make sure that the black wires go next to each other. Everything else is effectively keyed.

Once again, try a new power supply. Probably doesn't matter too much when deciding on a brand. Try to find one with a good warrantee. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom