Gaming/Work Rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timaphillips

In Runtime
So I am definatly going to build a Conroe gaming rig, but my question is this. should I spend the extra $$ and build an entirely seperate gaming system and keep my current one (see specs) for AutoCAD work? Or should I combine some parts (hard drive, PSU, etc.) and make one machine? I was planning on OCing Conroe just a little bit, but not push it to the max and make it unstable. I can't have an unstable computer for work. Thoughts ideas?

PS- If I have two machines, is there an adapter I can get that will let me switch a monitor between two computers without unplugging the cable? I'm getting the 23" Sony widescreen for AutoCAD so I'd love to use that for gaming as well.

You could combine both into one machine. I Dont know if this works, but if you get an SLI mobo, you can get something like a 7900gt, and put a AutoCad Videocard in the other slot, and use the autocad gfx for work, and the 7900gt for games.

If you make two machines you can use a KVM switch to have 1 mouse, 1 keyboard, 1 monitor, and 2 pc's.

For Ridlyn, SLI you need 2 exect, and i mean exect video cards, like even a lets say there was an MSI 7900gt and an Asus 7900gt that wont even work they need to be the same everything.

Media Center i dont like for gaming so if your gonna use that computer id change the OS.

Personally id pool up my money make one sick machine. but you the machine you have is fine for both personally i think. i run auto cad 2006 on my PC listed below even before i oced it. but build the one super computer.

your current system is pretty good... but for a conroe build i donno what you would take... just keep 2 seperate computers.. atuocad runs fine on your current computer? if so then just keep that for autocad and build a new one strictly for gaming.. and as king suggested use a kvm switch..

Well i wasnt saying to actually make it SLI, what im asking is if you could run the two cards, but not in SLI. I thought i heard of something before in which you could do so. But cant remember whether it would work or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom