impossible folder names huh?? i did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Harpy

Beta member
Hi 2 all,
A topic about some folders names (ie: con, prn, etc.......) that are impossible to create in windows caught my attention, and so naturally, i chose to try it out myself. problem is, i did the impossible and was able to create it and now i can't erase it :p . any suggestions?? Thanx

BTW, i'm using XP Pro in spanish (i'm in latin america)

Attachments

• helpme.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 167
I created a NEW folder named 'con', and what i did was name it 'con...'(using the three periods) and when i hit enter it was named 'con' but i can't open it, rename it, delete it or move it and now it's just sitting there using up pixels. OOOOPS! hehe.

How to Remove Files with Reserved Names in Windows XP
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 315226
Last Review : May 2, 2006
Revision : 4.0
This article was previously published under Q315226
For a Microsoft Windows 2000 version of this article, see 120716 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/120716/EN-US/).

SUMMARY
Because applications control the policy for creating files in Windows, files sometimes are created with illegal or reserved names, such as LPT1 or PRN. This article explains how to delete such files by using the standard user interface.
MORE INFORMATION
You must be logged on locally to the Windows-based computer to delete these files.

If the file was created on a file allocation table (FAT) partition, you may be able to delete the file under MS-DOS by using standard command line utilities (such as DEL) with wildcard (*) characters, for example:
DEL PR?.*

-or-

DEL LPT?.*
These commands do not work on an NTFS file system partition. For this case another option would be to use a syntax that bypasses the normal reserved-word checks altogether. You may be able to delete any file by using a command like this:
DEL \\.\drive letter:\path\file name
For example:
DEL \\.\c:\somedir\aux
If the name in the file system appears as a directory, you may be able to delete any directory by using a command like this:
RD \\.\drive letter:\path\directory name
For example:
RD \\.\c:\somedir\aux

the folder that it's in is shared on the LAN here at work and it's visble from every computer. I just want to know if it's a first time thing in the whole computer world and how do i get rid of it cause i'm worried that it might mess something up since those are "reserved" windows names.

I'll give that a try though, thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom