Metadata to file folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardmp92

Daemon Poster
Hello,

Does anybody know how I can add metadata to file folders in XP SP2 so that I can add comments to the folder to tell when I backed up, where also saved, etc?

Thank you!

Go into the folder you want to add the info to and find the
(Desktop.ini) file and add the line "InfoTip=" after the equal sign type what ever data you want and save it. now when you hover your mouse over that folder your info will be displayed along with the size of the folder and such. you will have to select to view hidden files and folder and display protected system files in the folder options to see the desktop.ini file. hope thats what you wanted.

I cant find the desktop.ini file in the folder. I have checked to see system files and hidden files.

Does each folder have a desktop.ini file?

Where do I find this file?

if its not there and you unhid all the files, what you can do is go to the folder, right click select properties and then select customize and then change icon, then just select the same icon and click ok and go back into the folder and the desktop.ini file will be there.

kingX13,

Thanks! I got it to work. Only thing is that I have to do the customize, change icon, etc for EACH folder I want to see the desktop.ini file for. Is there a way I can apply to ALL folders?

Hey no prob leonardmp92

what i think you can do or try to do is just take that desktop.ini file before you add the data you want to it and just copy and paste it into the folders then add what you want. im pretty sure its not folder specfic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom