New Hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrZucchiniHead

Daemon Poster
as most of you know i hate my dell, and i also hate my 40gig hard drive. my dell has a slim case so i can only fit 1 drive into it but i want to put something bigger in it, like a 120gb drive.

i need to know if there is a way of transfering data from one hard drive to another, but only having room for one drive.

im still considering an external drive, but i have literaly no room around my computer to put it.

Get a larger hard drive, open up the case and have both hard drives plugged in, but one won't be screwed in. Then either:...

1) Install Windows on the new drive, then transfer all your files over.

2) Use Nortan Ghost. Make a complete image of your old hard drive and put that image on the new drive.

The first option will probably be the best as long as you aren't worried about reinstalling programs and drivers. The second is good if you just want everything the same and know what you are doing.

im gonna have to use the ghost, theres only 1 other IDE slot thats not connected to my hard drive, and thats my CD drive. and i cant install windows without a CD drive. thanx for the advice.

MrZucchiniHead said:
im gonna have to use the ghost, theres only 1 other IDE slot thats not connected to my hard drive, and thats my CD drive. and i cant install windows without a CD drive. thanx for the advice.

Huh? Two drives per IDE cable. Master/slave. What you said makes no sense. You plug your old drive onto the Ide cable outside the case and transfer data that way. The new drive as master and the old as the slave or just set both drives to able select. You don't need to Ghost the drives unless you like the way it is already set up. I always want to do a fresh install on a new drive but that is just my personal choice.:rolleyes: :confused:

the IDE cable that is connecting my hard drive to my mobo only has one IDE connection on it. im gonna have to switch the cables from my DVD drive to my hard drive.

Dude.....you just need to get another cable. Give me your address and I'll mail you one for free. I have like a baziilllion of them laying around my shop!!!

i know everyting i need to do now, i have some spare IDE cables, but they're from my old pentium MMX, ill see if they work later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom