First Build: Need Input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops. It's too obvious that this is my first build. I hadn't noticed that. Here is a correction:

POWERCOLOR Radeon X1600PRO X1600PRO512MBDDR2 CrossFire Ready
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131009

This ATI had twice the memory of most expensive Nvidia (512MB), so I'm inclined to get it over Nvidia, especially if it is true that Nvidia is more for gaming yet ATI is great for photoshop and other graphic designs.

lol, never mind :p

The ATI card may have 512mb of memory, but remember that is still on a 128-bit memory interface, so I would still go for the Nvidia card.

Larger memory doesn't neccessarily mean increased performance.

To be honest, either card would be more than sufficient for Photoshop etc. but i'd go for the 7600GT out of personal experience with the Nvidia 7-series.

just becuase it has twice the memory dose not mean better performance....infact with a card with that low clock speeds, it will slow it down.

7600 will beat the x1600 Pro.

Iv seen instances where a 128 MB FX killed a 256MB version with same clocks.

If your doing graphical desgins such as Maya or AutoCad then you want to be looking at the Quadro Series from Nvidia and FireGL Series from ATI...Thats what they are ment to do;)

That was a good point, but I looked in Newegg and neither 7600gt nor x1600pro have anything higher than 128bit, so I guess that doesn't matter anymore (?)

If you are doing heavy Solidworks/AutoCAD stuff, I would get a Quadro/FireGL rather than a GeForce/Radeon card.

/agreed

There are various graphics cards available that are specifically designed for Graphic/Design work, have a look at them if you plan on doing that kind of stuff at a more serious/professional level.

No, I'm just learning SolidWorks. Certainly, while I technically could get such a video card, I don't need it. $1000 for a video card is too much. That's something that the workplace should get, if necessary.

Well, I expected faster and more numerous response in this forum. I'm guessing maybe since my system isn't for gaming it is not very interesting. In any case, for those of you who spent the time reviewing my system: thank you very much. I will get eVGA 7600GT and now I am ready to buy the parts.

The only problem is that AM2 4000 is not in stock seems until June 30 (this has been out for a long time apparently with not much demand, just think about Conroe's future).
Guys, can anyone in here please find me an AM2 4000 to buy now? I would really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom