Primary partition problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie83

Solid State Member
I have XP Pro.

When I go to disk management, I have one primary partition and one extended (containing 2 logical drives). I am studying my MCP and i cannot create a new primary partition. I can only create a new logical drive.

Unallocated space only shows in the extended partition. What can I do to solve this.

Plus, FDISK does not work. Does this work on XP PRO.

Thanks,

J

I just checked the internet, FDISK wont work on NTFS. Perhaps the extended partition shell has taken up all the unallocated space and there isn't room for a primary. I'll delete this extended shell and see how I get on.

Would welcome any suggestions though...

Thanks

J

snoopau answer the question. you can also delete the partition in disc management, then create a new one and don't assign it a drive letter. this is good for addind another os as both partitions will show up as c while they are being used

Primarys

I'm studying for my MSCDT and MCP and I need to learn how do to do it and troubleshoot why it wont work.

Use Partition Magic to resize the extended partition, so that the extended partition only contains two logical partitions, without any unallocated space. Then create a primary partition in the unallocated space.

With Diskmgmt you will have to delete the entire extended partition.

Two or more primary partitions are workable but non-standard. You'll need to create that partition structure using an alternative partitioning program, Window's setup won't do it.

Warez Monster said:
Two or more primary partitions are workable but non-standard. You'll need to create that partition structure using an alternative partitioning program, Window's setup won't do it.

yes it will. windows create primary partitions by default. I just did it the day before yesterday when I delete the vista 64 bit partition in media center to create a partition for 32 bit vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom