RAM isn't running at correct speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a Venice or San Diego or other RevE core you should be able to run the memory at 200MHz at a 2T command rate, however if you have a winchester or newcastle or other pre-RevE core the memory controller can't handle all four DIMMs running at 200MHz and will run them at 166MHz

He could do that, yes, but in some cases, to get it stable at 200, he would have to run it with a 2T command rate, which severely cripples performance.
Not really, no. Once again yes it's fairly obvious that yes 1T will yield more memory bandwidth than a 2T command rate, but if you were to set up identical systems with one running 1T and one running 2T command rates you wouldn't notice a difference unless you are specifically benching in programs like Sandra or SuperPI so no, there isn't a severe cripple in performance as many like to call it. If you weren't benchmarking, you couldn't distiguish the difference unless of course you were overclocking at which point as I've already said many times RAM is picky with latency and stability therefore the 2T would probably go further

There is no "go about doing this", you either have the right memory controller or you don't, only way to change the memory controller is to buy another processor with the right memory controller...sorry

look for "Command per clock" in your BIOS, it should be under some RAM options. You want to DISABLE that and that will make the RAM 2T timing. Having it enabled is 1T

I found it. My BIOS is different, it was called DRAM Command Rate or something like that, and had Auto, 1T, and 2T.

At stock clocks, command rate to auto, I got like 43.375 seconds in Super PI, at stock clocks and 2T, I got 43.5...I can live with that. :)

EDIT: Thanks for the help guys. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom