Peltier Cooling, Whats the Catch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
but you might not get treated so nicely as an american
Are you serious? Jeez man. It's just becoming a vicious cycle these days.

A lot of countries and people hate americans. Sometimes it's justified, but a crapload of times it's just people going with the flow. Then in return americans get that "SCREW FOREIGNERS!" attitude and then it just turns back around to the foreigners hating americans.

People need to just chill the crap out and get along. Country shouldn't have anything to do with it unless you're from mexico, then you just need to get back there and stay out of america because we dont want ya :D

Oh yeah, sorry for the rant and all, but I'm seriously getting sick of all this anti-american bullshyt that goes on, especially around these forums when it's a bunch of idiotic 15 year old bush bashing imbeciles that turn hatred of bush into hate all americans.

Was that aimed at Idiotec, or is that a 'word' in America?

The only thin I don't like about America, is some of their companies screw us off with $=£. Grrrrrr.

lol, it took me forever to figure out what you meant. I simply mispelled it without even realizing I put the members name lol. I meant to put 'idiotic' and it should be edited to say that by the time you see this post.

The only thin I don't like about America, is some of their companies screw us off with $=£. Grrrrrr
Well, actually part of that is your own countries fault since you guys will tax the crap of anything that's being imported to you. That's generally the case no matter what country it is though.

Trifid said:

The only thin I don't like about America, is some of their companies screw us off with $=£. Grrrrrr.

i know, this realllly cheeses me off, i see a monitor and im like, oh thats cheap 20" only £300, i go to new egg and theres like a 99" plasma for 30cents, sooo frustrating

It would of supplied a good laugh if Idiotec read that first. :p

Antec is one of the good exaples of doing this. If I was really bothered I would send them an email asking why. But there are too manygood if not better companies that charge a decent price for the product. Or I could have a 'free' holiday in the states and bring it back with me.

Wrote this in time for my new drive to be formatted. :D

I will leave you with this picture of what I have to sort out now. :(

wires.JPG

(poor quality)

Nubius said:
Phase change is more expensive. It's like running a refridgerator with it's door open.

No, phase change is insulated therefore its like running a high powered fridge with its doors closed. The evap line and the evap are heavily insulated as to loose as little coolness(?) as possible, and thats where all the coolness(?) is generated.

The peltier itself is cheap, but then you get into insulating, greasing, dedicated PSUs, bigger rads, bigger water blocks, coldplates. And not to mention your power bill running these things. Phase change is a one time thing, you buy one and you turn it on and your set. Thats why I think phase is less expensive.

No, phase change is insulated therefore its like running a high powered fridge with its doors closed. The evap line and the evap are heavily insulated as to loose as little coolness(?) as possible, and thats where all the coolness(?) is generated.
Dude, you couldn't be further from correct.

The insulation has NOTHING to do with it. That is NOT like keeping the fridge closed. When your fridge runs, the inside gets to a certain temperature then the unit shuts off. With a phase change unit, it's like your fridge is NEVER turned off because you constantly have a heat source. It's like putting a heater inside of the refridgerator, the thing would never turn off as a result.

Phase change is a one time thing, you buy one and you turn it on and your set.
I can tell you know your stuff to some degree man, but you are completely wrong about phase change dude. You're apparently not realizing that that phase change unit requires a massive amount of energy to run. You think you're going to power it off a normal computer PSU? No.....it plugs in to an AC outlet and sucks a LOT of power.

As I said, the insulation has nothing to do with anything, so I don't know why you think because it's insulated, that that means that it's like a closed refridgerator. It's connected to a heat source dude!

I can guaran-freakin-tee you phase change is more expensive, but if you want to think otherwise then be my guest. You need the same crap, insulation, grease, instead of a dedicated PSU, you're running it straight out of your wall, theres more power = more electricity ( a lot more ) = higher electricity bills.

As far as your pelts though, I don't know why you think you need bigger rads and bigger blocks.

But yeah, if you still dont understand why it's more expensive.......it's the fact that the unit that normall keeps fridges cold, is going up against a thing that's producing a massive amount of thermal resistance. That phase change is running full speed all times. A refridgerator doesn't do that.

Pelts are more expensive because of all the accesories. You need bigger blocks because your block has to be bigger than your TEC. Pelts range from 40mmx40mm to 50mmx50mm. The best pelt blocks out there are Winstch Lab, but since they have gone out of business one of their blocks will run you from $100 dollars and up. You need a bigger rad because if you are running a 2x120mm fan radiator then sure your idle temps will be subzero but under load your rad doesnt have the capacity to dissapate the heat of your pelt and your CPU. Yes phase change does suck up electricity but what do you think sucks up more 1 compressor running at 12volts or a PSU and a pelt running at 12volts?

If you disagree with me, I will write up a quote on how much a pelt setup would cost versus a phase change setup.

And yes you are right about the fridge thing but you can tune a phase to stop and keep load at a certain tempature. Most likely by vacumming out of the suction line and charging into the discharge line.

what do you think sucks up more 1 compressor running at 12volts or a PSU and a pelt running at 12volts?
Dude.........a compressor would.....it's not running off the same kind of +12v that a pelt is running off of. You say "A psu AND a pelt" as if it's two immensely energy sucking utilities. That PSU is only going to draw as much AC energy out of the wall to convert to DC as that pelt will need.

ALSO.....you can get pre-made blocks that have a cold plate, pelt, and water block all combined for like $150-$175 which will still come way short of a phase change unit. If you build a phase change unit it'll be about the same, maybe cheaper, but the ENERGY COSTS, I.E. Your electric bill will be HIGHER with a phase change unit.

Phase change is WAY more expensive. Not only is the single unit going to be more expensive than pelt even with all these 'accessories' the overall cost of running the phase change will be more.

Why do you think places like at the newegg LAN forbid people from coming with phase change units.......because they use WAY too much freakin energy.

And yes you are right about the fridge thing but you can tune a phase to stop and keep load at a certain tempature
Do you realize how quickly load temps go up? What you said doesn't even make any sense unless you wanted your load temp to not be as cool as it could be. The thing that phase change units do, is they can get running and cool the CPU down before the computer starts. That's what most of them do since it takes while for the condensor to start....well.......condensing.

You're basically trying to say a pelt uses more energy than a mini-fridge running constantly and that's just not right.

Look here as well:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7919

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom