giant case fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshshift

In Runtime
i was wondering what your guys opinion was on this... suppose i remove the side of my case opposite of the mobo and tape a big box fan to the side of the case, do you think this would adequately cool my computer?

you mean like a real fan?? like a huge one you usually use in your office to cool down, blow wind?? if yes that would be awesome! if you meant that take pics if you do that that would be so sweet

Right now I have a small desk fan, maybe a 8-12 inches in diameter beside my computer with the case cover off. Keeps my comp about 8-10c degrees cooler. The most important thing is angle, position, and size. Make sure it is small enough to leave one side open for all that air to exit easily. I actually think it is a great way to cool a computer. I might be wrong though.

Yeah already has been done before, I'm not sure if you want that as a permanent coolign solution. Someone took one of those deskfans, put it around a trash bag and taped it to the side of his case, with the side panel off lol. :)

yeah, im gonna use a big fan and cut a hole in the rear for exhaust. ill take some pics when its done.

i wonder if i should have the fan blowing on the mobo or away(drawing heat off mobo rather than blowing off)

Just slapping it against the side blowing straight against the motherboard probally won't help at all, it will just circulate heat if anything. But, if you can get it to blow across the motherboard or blow at an angle, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

watch out for the electromagnetic field from it. the fan isnt shielded, and neither are your harddrives. computer fans are OK, they are 12v things, but the 240v mains (or whatever it is where you live) have a much stronger field.

the case normally is shielded, and that is why you dont have to worry with fans, but as soon as the fan is in/part of the case, you may start to see corrupt harddrives.

yea i was gonna make a wooden case and incorprate a giant fan into the side, i thought it was orignal, but i saw a case which alreadey has a big fan on the side....:(

well i've done something very similar to this as well, for my gpu's.. i have about a 8-10 inch fan, i just angled it at the case so it shot stuff out the exhaust to keep heat out, it made my idol from 56 to 47 degrees celcius, which is amazing!!! it did a good job, but it gets rather dusty, so i wouldnt recommend it myself, only if its temporary for benchmarking or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom