Check this build and feedbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

infernus

Solid State Member
Here is my rig which I bought yesterday...Sorry cant take pictures my cam just went down :( Want to know your comments

AMD Athlon FX-55 2.6Ghz 1Mb L2 Cache (with AS5 treatment :p)
MSI K8N Neo-4 Platinum nForce4 SLI
Geil 4x 512Mb DDR400
Gainward GeForce 7900GTX
Seagate Barracuda 250GB S-ATA
Creative Audigy 2
Altec Lansing GT5051 5:1
Antec True Power 550W PSU
ASUS Dual-Layer 16x DVD-RW
Thermaltake Xaser III Casing
19" ViewSonic LCD Monitor

Is this now ok? Can I play those resource hog games like Oblivion at max settings? I run all of these in stock not planning in OCing yet.:)

This a nice rig, pricey Graphic card which does pretty well and only problem about it is the price (some would say its not much better than a GT.. I wouldn't know anyway).

Pretty good CPU for single-threaded games, should do well also.

I don't get the deal here, why get 4 sticks of 512 and not two of 1gb? would do better if it was two sticks @ 1gb each.

nice PSU and dvd writer, and I don't know much about that monitor.

the case is alright, but I learnd a little and found out that the xaser family isn't as cracked up as its supposed to be, too over priced in my opinion as I owned one for very short while and then replaced it to my current case (Which im extremly happy with) 3D Aurora of Gigabyte. (Much bigger case, much more silent, better quality and better for cable managment and best of all --better price for the BANG! though airflow could be a little better though)

Anyway I think that you'r rig is a pretty good one, I believe it will run oblivion on high settings but i dont know if all can be maxed out.

In my opinion you'r going to enjoy this rig in games in high settings for at least a year or year and half (might even survive two years on high settings) then on time when DX10 cards and other multi threaded games become more popular you might be forced to lower the settings on such games, but we're talking about a year - two years from now... till then I believe you should be able to max out almost every game, ALMOST though.. as I know games that you will never max out no matter what tech you got :p

About the memory, I just found read somewhere here that 2 sticks of 512MB is better that 1 stick of 1GB? Well I think it's just the same right?

I was suppose to order also an AM2 board but I read that CPUs of socket AM2s have still quite buggy mem controllers. So I just bought this rig because I researched all of this for months. Is my decision right? Or I just wasted money? For the gfx card, I know that 7900GT is cheaper and when OCed, will have same performance as GTX right but Im afraid to OCing that's why I bought the GTX. Is my decision wrong? :(

If I find better feedbacks and more improvements in Am2 cpus maybe I can upgrade in the next years :p

Yes, 2 sticks of 512 is better than one 1Gig stick (if you are only buying 1 GB of RAM), but when you buy more than 1 Gig of RAM total, it would be better to buy 2 1Gig sticks. So in your case, 2x1GB RAM would have been better. Is your RAM running at 200MHz? Check it in the BIOS.

Aw ok.. Perhaps I could ask to have a trade-in to 2x 1gb memory :p Since the dealer I bought happens to be a friend also ^_^

Want to ask if I can SLI my card to another 7900GTX? Or it will be a waste of money?

And what is this RAID thing? the RAID0 and etc? It means Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks (am I right?) What is its purpose?

If the guy is willing to do the trade, go for 2x1GB.

You can SLI 2 7900GTXs, yes. But I would think a PSU upgrade would be needed. You can check which PSU is needed to run a SLI-setup with GTXs at www.nvidia.com. Look for SLI-zone, and make sure to check under high-end or very-high end setup, or something like that. Whether it's a waste of money, it's not anybody's place here to tell you how to spend your own money. If you feel like it, go for it. I wouldn't, since the performance increase compared to the cost just isn't worth it IMO. Plus, the next gen of GFX cards are due within the next couple of months, so I'd hang on to my cash and scoop up one of those bad boys. And if not, the prices of the 7900GTX will drop considerably, so you could get one for cheaper than they are now. Seriously, do you mean to tell me the GTX you have now doesn't shred any game you throw at it to pieces? But it's your money!

RAID is a way of connecting 2 or more HDD together so that they seem to be one. So 2 80GB HDDs will become 1 160GB HDD according to the operating system you are using. Apparently it increase performance slightly. RAID0 or RAID 5 or 6 etc. is just different ways in which data is stored and secured on the disk. Each different RAID array offers different options with regard to protection (for incase on HDD fails for instance). I'm no expert on RAID, I suggest you Google it to find more indepth info.

Hope it helps. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom