building a gaming pc, $2000 USD

Status
Not open for further replies.
...sAM2 outdated in a year... you guys are nuts. First off, there's this thing called a biz plan. Look, sAM2 is the way to go. You can buy a nice proccessor and it will be a bit better than a s939 system, then around december, or later you can upgrade. The 65nm process chips will be out around december. AMD will make quite a leap with that considering what they've managed with their current 90nm process chips. Then in 2007, the chips (including the quad-core chips) based on the K8L will come out for sAM2.

You can go conroe, but I'm buying a nice system right now, with a temporary sAM2 processor, and later when the new dual cores come out I plan on buying one. Don't buy s939, it's not worth it. sAM2 doesn't have any 'bugs' greater than s939 has right now. I'll try to make a list later of what I'd get, but for now, I'd wait for a couple more weeks.

Yeah seriously dave39 if you just look around you would see that in a year s939 will be outdated and only semperons will still be available for them to buy. And also going from a year ago would be like getting a amd 3200 or 3000 and now everyone will say get a dual core because of future gaming and multitasking so I dont know what your smoking. Am2 is definatly recommended for long term use but there are some bugs that could **** you off so research ALOT on Am2 and if you do build dont go all out and wait a couple more months for the 65nm chips!

Haha just to add a little bit more hurt on that... s939 is being discontinued before s754 is. So... they're not even going to try putting anything else on it, it's gone at the end of the year. The s754 is out by end of 2007 (guess they're keeping it for all the low-end OEM computers) and then LGA socketF will come out for servers and sAM2 and sF will be around for a couple of years. You'll be good with something that isn't going to be discontinued very soon, and is going to be getting some nice parts in the next year.

lol... fellas.. one word "ebay".. you can get anything on there. And if a person really wants to upgrade their system after a year of use it is not hard to buy a new cpu and mobo, ram.. etc.. that's what makes it fun. For a guy who wants a computer now and doesnt want to have to wait, the 939 is the best idea.

I've come to the conclusion that upgrading PCs is pointless. All of the hardware becomes archaic within a few years. To get a newer CPU you need a newer motherboard; you end up replacing most of your PC.

I think I'll buy an Athlon X2 after AM2 and Conroe settle down for a lot cheaper. After all, AM2 and Conroe will be about the same price or greater as the range of CPUs that came before them. The price doesn't change. For a good CPU, you'll have to shell out big money. I'll get more bang for the buck.

EDIT: This stupid computer refuses to open newegg.com. I wonder what's wrong. Same thing for cnet, ebay, and others, most of the time.

Ah. Finally got newegg open, and looked up everything. I only have two more concerns for now:

Keyboard: I don't need wireless macro-recording uberkeyboards; in fact, I'm typing on a generic Dell one right now. However, this is starting to jam, so I'll need something else, preferably a bit smoother-working but not expensive.

Case: It seems that every case manufacturer wants to hide the external USB ports and DVD/CD-drive brackets behind a door. Those doors can be a pain; are there any decent cases without them? Decent, meaning not mostly plastic. I don't want anything flashy either, just something practical.

Could you guys help me out? I'm at a loss in these two areas.

Gerry_W

That's a nice case; cheap, too.

I was also looking at the Cooler Master Stacker:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811119042

But that's a much bigger case. Hmmm....yours seems nice, but the USB and audio ports are at the bottom... oh well. :p Not that great, since I plan on fitting it under a desk, but I guess I'll have trouble actually fitting the Stacker under a desk. :p

The keyboard seems good...better than the saitek, especially for the price. Thanks! It's all slowly coming together!

Now to wait for the AMD X2 price drops....[rubs hands together evilly and laughs]:cool:

EDIT: Yeah, I found a PSU, but I'm open to recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom