'This isn't my IP address'

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonsayers

Baseband Member
My parents got a laptop today, and a wireless network has been set up between this computer and the laptop for the broadband internet connection via a ROUTER

Everything has been fine, but when I went to make a server for BF2, he couldn't join my server. This was because the IP was funny?

(The way I get my IP is through AOL messenger, I right click a chat box then goto Insert, then IP address. )

I usually get an IP beginning with 80 something (two, two digit numbers, and two, three digit numbers IIRC)

But I got this instead:

What on earth?

I take it this has something to do with the wireless network thing that was set up no doubt.

Next I booted up CSS and entered status into console, for the IP, and I got this too...

udp/ip : 192.168.1.2:27015

That number again. What's this stupid number?

So I can't create servers anymore then....

that 192.168.1.2 is the IP the router has assigned.

You can go to the site trifid linked, or log into the router and you should be able to see your the IP given to you by the ISP.

It displays my IP on those sites fine.

But when i create servers on games it displays the router's IP.

Re:

...Yep, here's a diagram:

PortForwarding.gif

Your router has something called NAT, which basically allows more than one PC to share one IP Address, and to be connected to the Internet safely.

In your network setup, you have internal IP addresses (assigned to the PCs in your wireless network) and an external IP address, which your router advertises on the internet.

Everyone outside of your network will see this external IP, and not the internal addresses.

Re:

simonsayers said:
How would I go about getting back my original 80 something IP adress then?

Hello,

The only way of assigning the original IP address to your PC is by removing your wireless network altogether, and connecting your modem directly to your PC. However, this would mean that your other computer's won't be able to connect to the Internet, or communicate between each other.

Or alternatively, getting a seperate Internet connection (seperate line) for each PC, thereby giving each PC it's own external IP address. But this is costly, and pointless as your wireless network is supposed to allow multiple PCs to share one Internet connection (to share one Internet connection or in other words, one external IP address).

As already mentioned, to get around this, you need to use port forwarding in your router's settings. It's there for situations like this. It can be a pain at times, and you need to know what ports applications and programs require, and where to forward it to. In your case, you need to forward the BF2 ports to your PC's IP Address.

This is the only safe way, without exposing all ports on the LAN to external clients, and without having to purchase more than one Internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom