Cant' find a good motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMist

Baseband Member
Hello all! I'm basically building a new system. Here's what I have so far:

-HD0: 80GB; HD1: 20GB (both working fine, high speeds) (IDE)
-DVD+-R/RW, DL, all that good stuff (IDE)
-Floppy drive
-Modem (PCI)
-Wireless adapter (USB)
-LAN Card (PCI)
-ATi x1600 graphics card (AGP)
-SB Audigy 4 Pro (PCI)
-1GB of RAM in the form of four 256MB sticks (DDR PC 3200)

I need to get:

-a case
-a PSU
-a motherboard
-a processor

I have all of the above, but they're the parts that need upgrading. A good case is easy enough to pick out; that's not a problem. I found a processor I like (this Intel Pentium D 930 Presler Dual Core. If that's not a good one, please tell! I've found a good PSU as well, a 450W, that should be fine for now and a few furture upgrades. Here it is. Here's the main problem: finding a good motherboad. I'm having trouble finding a good motherboard to suit all these. What my motherboard needs to have is this:

-an LGA 775 socket, if I am indeed getting that processor;
-an 8x AGP slot;
-three PCI slots (four would be really nice, but not a req);
-four DDR PC 3200 slots for my RAM;
-from a respectable vendor (newegg would be nice)
-it won't crap out on me!!

If anyone could help me out, that would be fantastic. Thanks so much!

Ok screw the Rosewell psu and get one more known like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103929.
I would say go amd but I dont think when all 4 slots of ram are filled up it underclocks them for stability. I would have said go pci express making this build so much easier.

Your build in my opinion is easier to answer and go with the flo but if you do it would seem you would get screwed in long run. Like I would almost trash all that and get a for ex:
amd x2 3800-320
ocz 1gb ram value rame-80
evga 7600gt-160
Msi Mobo-70
Antec Psu-80

If you built that I would say keep your sound card, modem card, Floppy Drive, Burner, and HDs and try to get rid of that wireless but that is way off topic. Sadly there is no motherboard that supports your ram and that cpu. I dont want to say what to get with what your at because I will get yelled at for sure but maybe go with what I said? Idk....

The powersource you linked is no longer at newegg, go figure. And trashing everything I already have is not an option because I amnot rolling in money, and I just bought the RAM and the graphics card and I'm quite happy with the X1600 over the 7600gt. Call me crazy, whatever. I guess I should've told you guys I have a budget. My budget for the processor is $200, budget for the mobo is $100, and PSU and case are fine.

Yoad said:
here you go a mobo like you asked.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131574

Its not specified that it supports Pentium D, but theres a couple of guys there who said they owns a pentium D proccessor and it works with it just fine.

If it is a LGA 775 then any Pentium D will work as long as the CPU andmob FSB are compatible. I.e., don't get a 800fsd pentium D if the mobo only supports 553fsb max. Looks like the mobo described will run 800fsb so you ae good to go!! BTW, pentium D 64 bit dual cores are cheap and can be over clocked big time!!!

Thanks! I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Intel Pentium D Dual Core instead of the AMD San Diego. So, according to that, here is my build:

Case: TBD
PSU: HIPro 500W PSU
Motherboard: ASUS Intel Mobo
CPU: Dual Core Pentium D
Video card: ATi X1600 AGP
Sound card: SB Audigy 4 Pro
Removable Media:
DVD+-R/RW DL
Floppy
80GB IDE, 20GB IDE
LAN Card
WUSB54G
Couple o' fans
PCI slot fan
Deskjet printer
19 inch LCD and 17 inch CRT
Logitech 5.1 system
Microsoft Wireless Comfort Optical Keyboard & Mouse
Some other random stuff

So, does this build look good?

Case: Kingwin Case or Sunbeam Case
PSU: HIPro 500W PSU
Motherboard: ASUS Intel Mobo
CPU: Dual Core Pentium D
RAM: 1GB = 4x256MB DDR
Video card: ATi X1600 AGP
Sound card: SB Audigy 4 Pro
Removable Media:
DVD+-R/RW DL
Floppy
80GB IDE, 20GB IDE
LAN Card
WUSB54G
Couple o' fans
PCI slot fan
Deskjet printer
19 inch LCD and 17 inch CRT
Logitech 5.1 system
Microsoft Wireless Comfort Optical Keyboard & Mouse

The CPU needs a motherboard with 945/955/975X series chipsets. It will not work. To save you some time, none of them have support for either AGP and DDR ram.

Don't go cheap on the PSU.

Also, if you can, wait a month for Conroe. It will be worth it in the end.

RicoDirenzo said:
If it is a LGA 775 then any Pentium D will work as long as the CPU andmob FSB are compatible. I.e., don't get a 800fsd pentium D if the mobo only supports 553fsb max. Looks like the mobo described will run 800fsb so you ae good to go!! BTW, pentium D 64 bit dual cores are cheap and can be over clocked big time!!!

Originally posted by Trifid The CPU needs a motherboard with 945/955/975X series chipsets. It will not work.

Who's right? Will it work or not? Reviews of that mobo claim compatibility with Pentium D's, so why not a dual core Pentium D?

And, if not, I'll just go with an AMD. I've found a good pair: this ASUS mobo, and this AMD processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom