A Place To list Vista Beta 2 Problem

Do you reply to advice before you try it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes

• No

• Im to smart for advice!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
Here is a place to list Vista beta 2 Problems. Maybe we can help each other and solve our problems.

that other vista thread is nothing but babble now. it's being kept going becase of the high post and view count, but it has have little use for the past 3-6 months now.

now here is my problem. Everytime I restart the computer or come out of a screensaver it restores to a 800 X 600 screen and i have to alway set it back to my default 1280 X 1024 screen manually. that's a pain.

I also can't install printers drivers for the world. but that is more of a 64 bit issue than a vista issue (I'm using the 64 bit version). I can't even install drivers for a network color laser printer.

it also seems to disable dual boot, but you can run 2 os the regular way (via boot.ini). I will have this issue fixed within the hour

I have found a few workarounds on some issues, so if you have a problem, post it here

Okay Eric let me see if i can help. For you desktop display have you updated your drivers? I know both ATi and nVidia have gotten driver specifically out for this build. So those are your best bet to use. My guess would be that it isnt saving the seetings when it goes into the standby mode. that is why it returns to the defult settings.

As for the printer that is gonna have to be solved by the manufacturer. They are the ones that have to get the drivers ready for Vista. If they dont install in compatability mode or by using the .inf then they wont. Only other option would be to try and find a Generic one to use. But being that it is 64 Bit i dont think they would have them.

The only problem i had was my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS wouldnt install. I tried probably 5 different drivers. But i found that the kX Project Drivers work just fine. So i solved my only issue and i couldnt love Vista more.

I just downloaded Vista Beta 2 last night and sadly i'm having more problems than i bargained for.

after looking in every possible place for drivers (microsoft, nvidia, asus, etc.) i'm still stuck with basically any important hardware without drivers. which includes: 7800 gtx asus gpu, both my marvell and yukon ethernet ports, and realtek high def sound.

i know my biggest problem is that all of the above are hardware released by asus, so i'm doomed to a poorly funtional vista experience until asus decides to go ahead and make drivers for vista beta's... which i don't have much faith in happening.

yack

I installed the latest version from nvidia (even though the default vista driver seem to work, except for that problem) then the screen went out and never came back on, so then I do did a last known config to get everything back up.

then I download the xp 64 bit driver and the same thing happened. this time I just restarted windows and pick " start normally" and it loaded. it seem to installed correctly, but I keep having the same problem

that compatiblility mode seem to be missing from beta 2, although I force vista to load my 64 bit tv Ati tuner card driver

i wish i could even get far enough for the driver to install incorrectly. when i try using the latest beta 2 driver released from nvidia, it tells me i don't have any compatable hardware

Carthjr said:
I just downloaded Vista Beta 2 last night and sadly i'm having more problems than i bargained for.

after looking in every possible place for drivers (microsoft, nvidia, asus, etc.) i'm still stuck with basically any important hardware without drivers. which includes: 7800 gtx asus gpu, both my marvell and yukon ethernet ports, and realtek high def sound.

i know my biggest problem is that all of the above are hardware released by asus, so i'm doomed to a poorly funtional vista experience until asus decides to go ahead and make drivers for vista beta's... which i don't have much faith in happening.

yack

32 bit or 64 bit vista?
Vista can go online and automatically select your realtek driver. it did so for mine.

Please list if you have 32 bit or 64 bit vista

i have the 32 bit version. i'm actually running vista through vmware, so i could avoid the pain of installing a dual boot. i had a feeling i wouldn't get full funtionality of vista right off the bat. so i opted for an installation i could jump back and forth quickly.

i'm sure vista would be able to automatically find my drivers for my sound hardware, but without any online functionality (due to the fact that neither of my ethernet adapters work) i'm kind of a sitting duck.

i tried installing generic drivers from the xp pro sp2 cd, and i also tried using the latest ethernet drivers released from asus for both my ethernet adapters... no luck at all

Carthjr said:

yack

Okay let me go thru your list. The 7800GTX is a known bug. If Vista didnt install the drivers what you do is extract the ones doenloaded from nVidia with WinRar. Put them in a folder where you know ti is. From there go to the Device Managaer and lead it to that folder where you extracted the Drivers from nVidia. It should install then. Either that or let Vista search the net for them as it could also find them there.

The Marvell and Yukon Ethernet Cards are also know. I have yet to find someone who has got them working correctly.

The Realtek is ,yet again, a known issue. Onbaord sound is just as supported as Creative cards. Which means it aint. Realtek hasnt released any drivers for Vista yet for the onboard sound to work yet.

Sorry to inform you of this but it has been well known about these issues. As i have said to Eric about his drivers, until the manufacturer supports and write up the drivers there is nothing more we can do. M$ can do the drivers since they wont make drivers for EVERY piece of hardware out there. That is up the the manufacturers to do that.;)

yeah, like i said before, i'm at the mercy of asus. i'm almost 80% sure they won't put out any drivers for vista until it's official release, which is pretty dissapointing.

maybe i should write a letter for them to put at the bottom of the pile and ignore....

it also turns out that those nvidia drivers won't take even when i unrar them and put them in a seperate folder. i get the message that windows was unable to install my standard vga graphics adapter.

i tried uninstalling the generic driver so i could start from scratch, but after rebooting, it reinstalls autimatically.

time to start scratching my head

Makaveli213 said:
If Vista didnt install the drivers what you do is extract the ones doenloaded from nVidia with WinRar. Put them in a folder where you know ti is. From there go to the Device Managaer and lead it to that folder where you extracted the Drivers from nVidia. It should install then. Either that or let Vista search the net for them as it could also find them there.

this is the best way to install unknown drivers for vista. winrar can extract cabinet files to get you the the actual drivers.

buy a 10.00 basic ethernet card. I did that because the earlier vista's won't recognize my nvidia gigabit card even after I install the sm bus chipset. the new vista autamtiaclly pick it up

oh yeah vista will recognize most gigabit cards (they did on my other machines), but you have to install the chipset or sb bus driver first. don't use vista default chipset driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom