bring down the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snypercore

Daemon Poster
"In an instant message chat, Microsoft has told the Windows Featured Communities that the demand for Windows Vista Beta 2 has been overwhelming. It is, in fact, the largest downloaded software in history. Currently, they are serving product keys out ten times faster then the downloads can be served. In fact, they are pumping out bits as fast as they can - any faster and there would be a measurable impact on the internet. In fact, I quote a Microsoft representive:

"So, we are literally saying that if we increased our bandwidth any further there's a possibilty of taking down the Internet - people might have problems with World Cup viewing, etc"

People who have recieved Vista Beta 2 product keys, but are unable to download, may need to wait a few days, up to one week. Microsoft encoruages users who want to try out Windows Vista Beta 2 to order the DVD. When they recieve the DVD in 1-4 weeks, install it, and activate it, they will be automattically guaranteed an RC1 upgrade."

this info was taken from http://www.jcxp.net/

i was wondering hwo this would happen how couls so many people DL vista and MS expanding there bandwidth "bring down the internet"??

the only way i could see it is there basicaly being a traffic jam, i'm willing to bet they're sending one out to every single backbone carrier, ISP, everything, they're uploading to the net as fast as they can, and probably every router within so many hops has seen vista go thru so many times, its all hogging up bandwidth more than they've seen before. Basically all the routers and ISPs that are shoving this out is causing everyone else's traffic, mainly the vista downloaders and probably microsoft web site browsers are experiencing it the most, but since vista is taking up so much bandwidth its causing everyone else's internet to be slow. I actualy havent noticed much a difference, mines always slow, **PUKE FOR DIALUP**

I call shenanigans. Especially because of this:

"So, we are literally saying that if we increased our bandwidth any further there's a possibilty of taking down the Internet - people might have problems with World Cup viewing, etc"

Um... taking down the internet???? That is laughable. Now, they may be talking about their particular servers...

killians45 said:
I call shenanigans. Especially because of this:

Um... taking down the internet???? That is laughable. Now, they may be talking about their particular servers...

Nope, it is true. Their ISP is at the route of the internet, and if they increase the bandwidth above the limit of it they may crash the servers. This is what I heard at another forum, and it makes sense (as in, if they crash the route of the internet, bye bye the rest of it. But I don't think the whole thing, and it would only be until they re boot the servers. Downtime max of 5 minutes I would think.)

True never though of it that way Microsoft could wind up crashing individual links on the net. Don't think that it is possible to crash the net.

must be ******** not like MS control the net or have "the route" of it the net is jus basically your pc connecting to an ISP which then connects to another server hosting a website whats anythign other MS.com got anythign to do with microsoft? i agree with killians45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom