When a HDD is nearly full.................

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive got another 24gigs left yet, was just curious really.

Ill just wait for abit and then get a new one, at least 120gig drive

p.s ccleaner is fantastic isnt it, ive had it about 7-8months now and i wouldnt be without it!

It could be slow for a couple reasons:

1) If files are stored not close to each other, for some application, when you try to load it, it will take longer. Fragmentation issues. Harddrive heads take a long to move.

2) The virtual memory on ur system is larger than ur physical memory typically. This rest of virtual memory (after physical) is in the harddrive. Again, if the "virtual memory" is fragmented, it can also lead to system slow ups.

3) If there isn't enough space, I would imagine that the system wouldn't allocate a lot of virtual memory in the first place. While this is an operating system issue and it's interaction with the applications, I am presuming this would lead to applications not being able to start if there isn't too much "virtual memory".

I am not an expert of "Windows XP". I just gave you some theoretical background that should be applicable to "most" operating systems - including XP.

24 gigs?... whoa. didn't see that. Yeah, that's nothing to worry about. :).. I have like 4 gigs left. :). Defrag the drive tho

windows likes to commit suicide i can tell you that much. i have this reoccuring problem when the poorly coded little S.O.B will make a 1gb page file on my boot partition which i had made just large enough for windows and basic programs. when it throws in the page file i end up with 40+mb left and it will start to kill the remaining space :(. the incredibly annoying thing about this is i have 1gb of ram and a 1-3gb page file set on another drive

you should see my 200GB hard drive. That drive has nothing but downloaded torrents on it. It got up to 70% fragmentation before, it was ridiculous.

Infact! I've got before and after pictures lol.

200gb before defrag:

11300110442.jpg

200gb after defrag:

11305095995.jpg

I used O&O Defrag for that, great program.

But yeah, my 200gb runs out of space every other day lol. My downloading is ridiculous, it stuns even me sometimes.

I've got 30gb left out of 360gb right now and that's only cause I recently deleted 20gb of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom