Possible for my PC to overheat if I buy a 7800GS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet-X2

Baseband Member
Ok it meets all the requirements, my PSU has a 12V rail, and it is a 350W which is the minimum required to run, I also have a 4 pin molex connector. My case is an HP case that looks sort of like a mid tower or a micro one. Will the 7800GS fit and not overheat. My other specs are a

AMD Athlon 3200+
1.5GB RAM
200GB Hard Drive.

You should be alright. That power supply might give you a bit of a problem. Note the might. If you start getting problems you know where to look first.

Thanks, If anything I can just replace it with a new cheaper one to do the trick. Once I have this PC should give me a couple of more years of gaming, maybe 1 or two. Then I can start savin up for a DX10 Machine.

my PSU has a 12V rail, and it is a 350W which is the minimum required to run,
Umm.......all PSU's have a +12v rail man. What you need to check is the amperage on the +12v rail.

I'm willing to bet yours is 18a or lower in which you REALLY need to consider upgrading that thing.

Thanks, If anything I can just replace it with a new cheaper one to do the trick.
PSU is the power house of your machine man. You don't want to get a cheap piece of crap when it controls the voltages going through every single component.

Should be a sticker on the side of your PSU.

Like here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153028

You should see something like what you see in the bottom middle picture (click on it to see it bigger) . See right below the +12v it says 14A, that's what you need to look for on yours.

However, that particular PSU has dual rails, so that one actually says +12v - 14A and +12v2 - 15A

Yours wont have that.

Yeah, ok, I'm definately not buying the card now that I saw what it said on the side sticker, lol. My PSU has a max output power of 250W. Also, for the amps on the +12V Rail it had 14Amps, and on the -12V Rail it had .8 Amps. I think I might invest my money in the 510W PSU that PC Power and Cooling has, would it be a good idea to invest money on that PSU, would it last me for a while?

Also, I saw that my 250W PSU took up alot of the space, there was only about an inch of space between the PSU and the Disk Drives. Do you think the PC and P PSU would fit?

I was thinking this:

It's a 500W PSU but the max is 600W, It can do 34 Amps on the 12V Rail, but a max of 38 Amps, is this a good choice. It's only 200 Dollars, which I have enough money right now to order it. But my only concern is will it fit?

EDIT: 650 Watt is it's peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom