NB Fan Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martianX10

Baseband Member
Holy crap, what could be doing this.

Almost every time I turn on my computer now, without fail, the motherboard fan just starts revving SUPER hardcore, and the PC Speaker starts setting off this horrid two-tone alarm.

I checked my ABIT EQ (the MB is an Abit AN7), and it shows the NB fan speed as around 240-300 RPMS, I know this isn't true as I can see / feel it vibrating its poor little fan cage. The temperature isn't RISING at all though. Usually I can turn my computer off, wait a minute, and turn it back on and it is normal again, but these past few days it has been unavoidable, and sometimes even starts doing it when my computer is already on.

Is this fan dying? Is there some type of problem with my voltage settings? I have a half-dead motherboard lying around with an NB Heatsink on it; should I replace this stupid fan with that heatsink?

Please help me, I just turned off my PC Speaker to post this, then I'll be checking this thread on my buddy's computer. I have MSN AIM Yahoo Xfire Teamspeak as well you name it. Thanks a BUNCH BUNCH BUNCH.

sounds like the sensor of the fan went, cause the mobo will usu read the fan speed and temp of the temp sensor that goes to the fan and up the speed till it goes down, and also 240 - 300 is a lil low, u mean 2400 - 3000? or also there might be a prob with the voltage control for it, is there a way u can lower the voltage of it? if ya can try it till it sounds normal

bmxfreakrider said:
sounds like the sensor of the fan went, cause the mobo will usu read the fan speed and temp of the temp sensor that goes to the fan and up the speed till it goes down, and also 240 - 300 is a lil low, u mean 2400 - 3000? or also there might be a prob with the voltage control for it, is there a way u can lower the voltage of it? if ya can try it till it sounds normal

No the sensor clearly says 240-300, and its in red, but the FAN itself is spinning, I'm guessing, at probably close to 6k-10k (if thats even possible): its REALLY revving hard.

Like I said, if I slow it down with my finger, then it sounds normal again and the sensor says aout 3k-4k, which is about normal for it.

Fans start wobbling when they are about to die. The sensor can't read it since the motor isn't running correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom