AMD and AM2 future

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they master 65nm, they'll be able to pump out 4Ghtz CPUs with the same amount of power as the current high end.

Jag28 said:
Ive got the same thing in my mind. That X2 4000 looks real nice on my wallet and will be just as good as a FX once I OC it.

That's the exact same thing I was thinking... tho I might have to go w/ a 3200 unless prices drop soon and enough for me to get one by the time they're back in stock.

we arnt exactly sure theyll actually come out with it
id rather wait for them to come than invest in sumthing ur unsure of =\

theshonen8899 said:
we arnt exactly sure theyll actually come out with it
id rather wait for them to come than invest in sumthing ur unsure of =\

Well in reality they don't have much of a choice from a business point. Come August Intel will be the king of processors and AMD will more then likely be in a far, far second. Unlike Intel, AMD can't really survive longterm as well as Intel has just because of the sheer size of the companies, the special deals Intel has with Dell and HP, and all the bundles of money they get from private contracts. AMD has none of that, they survive soley by CPUs to individuals, small groups, and a few large companies such as Compaq I believe. In order for AMD to maintain it's competition against Intel it HAS to have a product that can compete almost at the same level with it's rival.

It's a business sense, I take AMD and this article seriously because they have no choice but to compete with Conroe, they don't need to match it but atleast get closer. When K8L comes out I'm sure it'll be to Conroe what Conroe is to Athlon 64, but that's months away. If all they need to do get close is change the die and up the speed, I'm sure they will and do it as quickly as possible, just because it's what they need to do to stay in competition.

Mk97 said:
That's the exact same thing I was thinking... tho I might have to go w/ a 3200 unless prices drop soon and enough for me to get one by the time they're back in stock.

Tigerdirect has the Athlon AM2 X2 for $350. IT's got the 2/1mb L2 chache, so if you have basic knowledge of overclocking you can almost get a $1,100 CPU for the price I said above. **** the next dual core AMD with the 2/1mb chache is the 4400 and thats $500 for an extra 200mHz. It's a great deal, just get some nice RAM and a solid motherboard and you can work wonders.

Jag28 said:
Tigerdirect has the Athlon AM2 X2 for $350. IT's got the 2/1mb L2 chache, so if you have basic knowledge of overclocking you can almost get a $1,100 CPU for the price I said above. **** the next dual core AMD with the 2/1mb chache is the 4400 and thats $500 for an extra 200mHz. It's a great deal, just get some nice RAM and a solid motherboard and you can work wonders.

That's the reason I want it lol. I was going to go s939 w/ an opteron, but I figured I'd go AM2. Newegg and a few others are finally startngto get them listed, but I havn't seen the 4000 in stock anywhere... and what's this about AMD attaching a hefty rebate to the dual cores?

As for OC'ing parts, I'm going for 2 gigs of Gskill, the mid DDR2 800 ones that are $200. I'd love to try DDR2 1000 but dear od that's expensive :D I'm going to get the MSI SLi mobo, it should be at least on par with the s939 versions of it. I havn't seen DFi's response to AM2 yet... anyone else seen stuff from them?

While Conroe will probably be a great CPU, it ain't a AMD killer.

Conroe is a step in the right direction for Intel. It shows the Intel has actually peeked out of its anal cavity and saw a little sunlight.

What were they thinking by flogging those heaters they called CPUs for so long?

Mk97 said:
That's the reason I want it lol. I was going to go s939 w/ an opteron, but I figured I'd go AM2. Newegg and a few others are finally startngto get them listed, but I havn't seen the 4000 in stock anywhere... and what's this about AMD attaching a hefty rebate to the dual cores?

As for OC'ing parts, I'm going for 2 gigs of Gskill, the mid DDR2 800 ones that are $200. I'd love to try DDR2 1000 but dear od that's expensive :D I'm going to get the MSI SLi mobo, it should be at least on par with the s939 versions of it. I havn't seen DFi's response to AM2 yet... anyone else seen stuff from them?

I pretty much started that rumor of a hefty rebate, and thats all it is right now, a rumor based on a few articles read and a couple of trustworthy people I know. My guess is they don't want to do any actual slashing to the prices of the dual cores, so instead they'll offer a nice rebate to help keep people lured away from the mighty Conroe. The Single cores have been cut down in price already for a few days, the rebate for the Duals from what I understand are the end of June or early July, a few weeks before Conroe is released in a attempt to cripple Intels inital sales. And again it's all rumors, don't come back and shoot me if it's not true.

Only motherboards I know of for AM2 are Asus, Biostar, and MSI.

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition

That is a real nice board, and from what I read one of Asus best overclockers. Normally I'm against spending that much of a motherboard, but the devils tempting me and if I have any $$$ leftover in my budget it will be put towards getting that board, and if you have the cash might want to pick it up yourself.

Trotter said:
Conroe is a step in the right direction for Intel. It shows the Intel has actually peeked out of its anal cavity and saw a little sunlight.

What were they thinking by flogging those heaters they called CPUs for so long?

Hehe, so funny yet so true, love it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom