Gaming with My Celeron D

Status
Not open for further replies.
onboard video processors heat up the motherboard when they heat up. if they're overworked, that heat will eventually affect the other components on the motherboard

Well, not to change the subject to much, but what would be a good upgrade CPU for gaming? from what i understand ill have to upgrade my motherbored as well.

Something i noticed, and im curious about. my Celeron D has a L2 Cache of 256K. i was told this is the main reason why it isnt great for gaming, which i can understand now that i know what it means. However, i was told that AMD Sempron would work way better and it also seems to have 256K cache. ?? does Celeron just not like games??

AMD's are generally considered to be better for gaming, it's just they way they're designed. But if you want to switch processors, you're gonna have to switch motherboards if you're new processor has a different socket.

And it's not that the Celeron dosen't like games, the AMD's do more work per clock cycle which helps when the gaming. Check out the AMD vs. Intel stickies. Those have a lot of information that can answer a lot of your questions about the differences between intel and AMD.

Shumway said:
Defenitly agree with jorsoft03,Since your video couldn't handle it your cpu was trying to make up for it.

I would buy a graphics card, but i have no idea what will run better than a chipset....would a MX5500 128MB work fine on older games?

If you want a half decent card don't get anything lower than a fx5500 or a ati 9600,Those should handle older game's fine for now,I used my old 9550se for game's like nfsmw and doom3,It wasn't nothing fancy but atleast i could play fine on low setting's.

Yes that will run older games just fine. Most intel integrated chipsets perform slower than a geforce 2 so anything newer than that will be better. A 5500 or better Geforce or similar ATI card should be just fine for older games. Any that you were trying to play specifically (besides NFS)?

It would be nice to play RPG's from around 2003, and racing games.

I have no clue which video card would be suitable.

Also, i just checked Toms Hardware, and the top-of-the-line Celeron 2.8 got beat by the Pentium 4 2.00-Ghz in everything. I didnt realize Celeron was so bad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom