Building PC .. Athlon 64 X2 or wait for Conroe??? ($1400 setup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok.. the AM2 processors right now are still way pricey compared to what the conroe will cost.. I hope to see a huge price drop next week.. although i'm not sure at this point if that will incline me to go towards an amd setup if they are not making vast changes in their architectural design. But at the same time I do want to build a new system soon and would rather not wait, since systems are constantly changing and by the time conroe comes out people will be talking about new systems that are on their way out..

So... if i do get an am2 board, do u guys think i will be able to run a quad cpu when amd makes that move..? or will they change the socket for a quad system?? which will suck.. plus i dont see how a quad cpu can cost around $300...

In that case would it be wise to still wait for conroe? other than that, i know amd has been better than intel for years now.. so i dont see why amd wont make another move after intel to make a better, completely redesigned cpu.. does anyone know if they have plans to throw athlon away completely and make a brand new cpu?

I can't believe the pentium days are coming to an end.. It seems like a new age in cpus are begining, and the first one to do it is intel.. so that leaves me thinking that amd will catch up again and dust away intel in 2007..

i just hope they will do that in a am2 setting which will promise an upgrade from the existing setup we have.

Or maybe amd will make the price of the new cpus so high, that it will still seem logical to get a conroe, meaning i would have still wasted money on an am2

?

What about options for ram, mobo and gpus... Does the conroe support SLi??? And will the mobos (esp. asus) have newly integrated designs..

Also here is a question about the future of pcs.. When will we see a boot system without DOS and a black screen, a mobo with simple and better design and parts which are hassle and worry free.??? Afterall the best graphics in games today are really not great as people make them to be.. When will we see completely realistic enviroments u think??

I'm really tired of slow developing game structure, poor OS design along with PC design all together.

What do you all think?

It's probably best to wait for Conroe right now, but don't despair if you love AMD: K8L is coming out in the first half of 2007 and it may well be a Conroe-killer.

I was dead sure that I was going to get a Conroe, but today all my hopes began to disappear. Many people in different forums are sure that Conroe will NOT be available in July or August. It's predicted that companies like HP and Dell will suck up all the conroe supply leaving almost nothing for regular PC builders.
Imagine a scenario - the cheap CPU prices are not just for you, but for companies like Dell as well (maybe even cheaper). So what's going to happen is Dell buying all those CPU's and lowering their PC prices by hundreds of dollars as a result. The commercials will be all over TV and internet and you'll have a lot of people in businesses and college dorms jumping to buy them. If they throw in the word that all those PC's are vista ready as well, it will draw even more customers. The result will be no CPU's for me and you for a long time until large PC companies lower their demand.
Some of you said that AM2 prices are going to drop. Actually, the 50% drop is speculated only for single core AM2s. Do you have any sources that say the same about dual core AM2 price cuts? I read that it might not happen until Conroe is out and even then the drops might not be significant.
I think that IÂ’ll soon be getting an AM2 with 2GB 667DDR2 and then upgrad to K8L in a year since the socket is the same. I got summer research to do and my P4 1.8 Ghz sucks at calculations. This Conroe business has made me waste my time on many forums like an infomaniac.

That's almost the same PC that I might be building. I can't find AM2 4000 anywhere. AM2 has been out for weeks and the demand for it hasn't really been really high. Yet, not everything is available. Imagine what will happend with conroe.

Excelsius said:
That's almost the same PC that I might be building. I can't find AM2 4000 anywhere. AM2 has been out for weeks and the demand for it hasn't really been really high. Yet, not everything is available. Imagine what will happend with conroe.

If you live in America here you go...

Athlon 64 X2 4000 sAM2

Newegg seems like there moving a little slow getting some of the AM2's, wonder why. And if you want wait till July, I believe AMD will start rebating around that time, that's rumors though nothing solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom