OC'ing Opteron 146 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
PZEROFGH said:
:laughing: Most ram can take 2.8V. Then you can get the Mushkin higih performance ram which takes up to 3V :shocked:

i my bad i thought u were talking bout the cpu.

Well that's all I can remember, the rest is shrouded in AS5 :p. So, I should be able to get 2.75ghz at least? And I can't even get 2.7 :(. Is there anything I could possibly be doing wrong? I lowered the HT frequency, I put a low divider on the RAM, and overclocked. I raised the vcore when necessary, but that didn't help for long. I just can't get 2.7 :|. Oh, and I still haven't tried the RAM, I might not do that for a bit.

Dude when the ram is underclocked like that it gives you terrible preformance. Those sticks will easily take 17MHz. Set the ram at 166MHz instead of 133 and if it craps out try raising the voltage or loosening the timmings a little bit. You'll notice a big increase in speeds.

Arrgh... I tried increasing the voltage to the RAM step by step until 2.8v, and it still wasn't stable at 216mhz. I'd get on the system and run SuperPI and my screen would flash black a few times so I'd reboot and up the voltage. Since 2.8v was a good bit higher than the stock, I decided to lower my overclock on my CPU from 2.6ghz to 2.55ghz and set the vcore to default and also set my RAM's voltage to default. That puts my RAM at 212mhz. The odd thing is, it's running fine at 212mhz on stock voltage but a rather good increase wouldn't let it run at 216mhz... rofl. Doesn't seem like this RAM is much more than value RAM for overclocking :p.

Anyway, I ran several 1M SuperPI's and the system is stable (33secs is the best one). I didn't run a memory test, but since the memory was causing the flashing before, that seems like an indicator that the memory is fine now. If any problems occur, I'll just do a bit of twinking to try and get it stable.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys, but I don't think increasing the voltage any higher than that for a chance at a very minimum performance increase would be a justifyable thing to do. I'm going to settle for the overclock I have now; even if it is under par :(.

I think I might get higher performance RAM on my next build though.

increasing vdimm isn't going to help with RAM stability very much unless you have BH-5 ICs, you need to loosen timings in order to run RAM at higher speeds successfully

increasing vdimm isn't going to help with RAM stability very much unless you have BH-5 ICs, you need to loosen timings in order to run RAM at higher speeds successfully
Not really. Most TCCD's are at 2.6v and RAM such as mine like up to 2.9v when hitting beyond 260MHz. WHICH is why it amazes me that you've been running your RAM at so low voltage and getting 300HTT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom