OC'ing Opteron 146 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanM

Daemon Poster
Hello. A few months ago I did a little overclock on my CPU up to 2.5ghz from 2.0 and was content and just stuck with it. However, after a recent BIOS update which I guess reset my CPU to its default speed, I needed to go back in and overclock it. But this time I want to see how far I can go. I lowered the memclock index value to 133mhz from 200mhz to keep it from being a factor in limiting the overclock. I also lowered the HT frequency multiplier to 3x from 5x.

After that, I tested 2.5ghz again and it was stable. So I went back and increased the FSB by 10mhz to make it 2.6ghz. After saving the BIOS, my monitor went to sleep. I then raised the vcore to 1.5v from 1.4v and it booted into Windows fine. I ran a few Super PI's and the temperature reached 44ºC max during that. It would probably rise a few more in gaming.

So after that, I went and tried for 2.7ghz. When I exited the BIOS and it tried to load Windows XP, it said I was missing the C:\Windows\System 32\System file. So, I went back and reverted to 2.6ghz and everything was fine. So just for a last test, I tried 2.7ghz again and it gave me the same error again. So I went back to 2.6ghz and came here.

My question is, should I raise the vcore any higher than 1.5? I don't want to harm anything because I raised the voltages too high. But I also want to see how far I can push my Opteron 146.

For reference, I have an aftermarket HSF (Zalman 7000 Cu). My case is also a little dusty which I will eliminate soon as I can get some compressed air, so then my temperatures should drop a few degrees.

with temps already at 44C load at 1.5v, I wouldnt go up firther than 1.55v IMO. Anything over that will be pushing 50C. But anything up to 1.65v is safe (making SURE you have good cooling and that it doesnt go over 50C). So dust out your comp and/or get better cooling and you should be set.

Well, I tried 1.55v and 2.7ghz, and I got a BSOD when Windows XP tried to launch. Looks like I'm limited at 2.6, which seems below average in comparison to others' overclocks, which seems to average at 2.8 on air cooling. I don't see what could be a limiting factor here other than the CPU itself. After that, I decided to try raising my memclock frequency up to 166mhz (which would overclock my G.Skill RAM 17mhz to 217mhz) and the computer booted, but wasn't stable. When opening programs and other operations the screen would flash black for a second. So I went back to 133mhz and my RAM is currently downclocked to 173mhz.

Now, would it be better performance-wise to stay at 2.6ghz with a 1.5v vcore and my RAM downclocked to 173mhz or to go to 2.5ghz and lower my vcore back to 1.4v and raise the memclock frequency to 166mhz which would make my RAM run at around 200mhz?

I raised the HT Frequency up to 4x, which sets it to 1040mhz, which I hear is fine. I had it at 3x when overclocking just to keep that from being a limiting factor.

very odd, i'm able to have my 146 at 2.6 ghz with just 1.48v, when i did 2.8 i used 1.6, i never tried 2.7, never seemed to be a number i cared about. try it at 1.6 and go for 2.8.. ahah your system is about the exact same thing as mine was not too long ago, about 3 months!! haha didnt notice that!

Those are big, scary numbers :(. Perhaps I can give it a try. I'm not skipping 2.7 though. bbl

I tried 1.58 and that, instead of giving me a BSOD like 1.55 did, gave me that system error. I really don't feel like going to this big of an extent to get 100mhz, so I'm going to call it quits and just be slightly disappointed that my CPU isn't up to par. However, I was able to lower my vcore to 1.44 on the stable 2.6ghz, which is just 1 level above stock.

Up the memory to 166mhz, and raise the voltage to like 2.8V and see if it's stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom