Dual-core really that much better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
I had NO idea you could get LGA775 motherboards with DDR1 ram and AGP. This changes my upgrade plan COMPLETELY. So I now have a new range of processors to go for.

So I've got it narrowed to:

Pentium 4 3.06 GHz, 1MB Cache, HT
or
Pentium D 805 2.66GHz, 1 MB Cache x2, dual core

I know that the second one is dual core, and is supposedly the best overclocking chip there is (read that it can be overclocked to 4GHz on STOCK HSF. OMGWTFBBQ?!)

But I'm not much of an overclocker. If I can get it overclocked to 3.2 or so, I'd be happy.

So is the extra 30 bucks worth the dual-core?

EDIT: What's all this Conroe stuff I'm hearing? Are CPU prices really gonna' drop that much when it's released? And if so, when? I can stick it out with my old Celly for a little while longer if it's gonna' save me some money...

I heard Intel was going to cut their prices soon, well that's where i read somewhere... Go dual core!

What mobo are you looking at because you will need a mobo with the Intel® 945G/P Chipset and they all have DDR2??

Once you go dual core you'll never go back. It pains me when I use anyone else's computer that doesn't have even the equivilant of my D820. Mine runs at stock 2.8 but I'm hearing OC results of like 3.5+ with EASE. Conroe is coming out at the end of July and Intel has dropped their prices once already and plans to continue to do so as the release date approaches. You can pick up a dual core for cheap cheap cheap right now as it is. I think the next price cut will be fairly soon (end of June maybe???).

PS- Get the 9xx instead of the 8xx dual core.

- Only compatible with Intel based 945/955/975 series mainboards

It will not work.

The 4GHZ was at a amazingly high temperature on stock cooling. Not suitable for general use. Wait a bit for July. Even if the prices are slightly cheaper, and then go for a 65nm CPU.

That's weird. 'Cause the Asus motherboard specs says it supports Pentium D processors...

And if I can't get a Pentium D setup with my current RAM and Video, I'll probably be going with an AMD socket 754 or 939 setup instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom