Help with frequent game crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet-X2

Baseband Member
Ok I play games like BF2, Oblivion, Doom 3, etc. My PC has been crashing on those lately, so I figured it could be the games were too advanced. My rig is:

AMD 3200+ @2.0GHz
1.5GB RAM
Radeon 9600XT.

So today I decided to load up Battlefield Vietnam and it crashed on me without me even being in-game, but looking for online servers, Im really thinking its a vid card problem, the screen all of a sudden turns black and it says "Monitor Going to Sleep", and it displays Red Blue and Green colors under that labeled. I have no idea what the problem is. Can anyone plz help me?

Well, I think the first thing to check is heat, those games ran on my computer happily with a 5700 Pro in it, so its not too advanced, although Oblivion wouldnt play very well. This could be to do with an overheating Processor, I dont know if your processor is a 64-bit as the 3200+ run at 2.2 stock, but if it is a 64Bit, its either a Newcastle or a Winchester, it depends on which socket, although the Newcastles are renound for overheating, as they have a high power consumption.

The first thing to check would be to make sure your PC isnt in a confined space, or sat on a radiator or something simple like that! But then open her up, give her a clean out make sure the heatsink hasn't dropped off either GPU or CPU and all the fans are spinning when turned on.

Use a piece of monitoring software such as Speedfan for the processor, and ATiTool for your GPU

Speedfan: http://www.almico.com/speedfan428.exe
ATiTool: http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=163&file=5&evp=70af8d0e9a91f867ec72d8d36f135004

If this doesnt help, or the temperatures arent high enough to cause concern, then i would check RAM! That is the other main fault in a system.

Hope this helps

Ruan

Well using CPU-Z it says the codename of the CPU is Clawhammer, and its on a Socket 754. And this might sound a little noobish, but how do I know what a heatsink looks like and how do I put it back on, All I did was install a video card and a gig of ram.

Here's a pic of what Speed Fan brought back, dunno about the other ATI tray tool thing, it didnt show any temps

Ok, something weird as **** happened, my 2nd fan which was at 0 RPM started spinning outrageously fast, maybe not fast for you guys but for me it was, it was like at 10,000 RPM around there, and I could hear that thing spinning, I had to restart my PC and it was back to normal, now it's silent.

Yeah I think the problem is my processor, right fater my game crashed it showed a speed of 51 degrees celcius. So what would be an appropriate fan speed?

Ok now I figured out why it set the speeds higher, so it could cool down, right after it set em higher my temp slowly dropped back to the 30 degrees celcius range, and I can feel the cold air comin from my case. Right after the game crashed my CPU temp was above 50 degrees celcius and it displayed a little fire icon, so that had to means the processor heating up was what was causing my games to crash and my PC to turn off. All i need from you now is an appropriate speed to set the fans to consitently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom