Custom Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polat

Beta member
Hey there,
Ive just signed up to this forum so a can get some advice from some people that are more experianced in this section of computing.

What im looking for advice on is what would you reccomend i buy for a pc setup that i am going to build myself. This will be my first go at building my own pc but ive played around with the internal workings of an xbox; replacing, adding all sorts of things, even a touch of soldering here and there but when building up a pc all it is is just putting the parts together so i dont think anything will be beyond my skill level.

Before i start im going to make it clear that i do not have a very large buget as my job at the moment is not "raking it in" and i have to buy other esentials too. My buget for this will be in the 600 to 800 pounds range. The thing im looking to spend the most on is the CPU, but they are usually the most pricey if you want a hardcore one for gaming, and yes i want this pc for gaming aswell as standard use.

I have allready worked out what case i am going to buy so i shouldnt need any advice on that. I will be looking for a motherboard with an ATX set seeming though the case has the same and i think i am aiming to buy a motherboard with a 939 socket because i am very fond of the AMD athlon 64 X2 (the price aswell, not too high lol). Unless you can convince me to buy a intel or something i shall consider another socket type. For the motherboard i want, i would like it to have the following:

A max of 4gb supported ram (preferably 4 memory slots) not sure of what ram tech, it doesent matter.
4-5 PCI slots
1 AGP 8x
4 or more USB 2.0
atleast 1 firewire
All the other essentials like audio, parralell ect.

Moving on to the processer, i know i said i wanted an AMD but shall i find a reasonable priced intel or something else i could go that way. For the CPU i would like it to have:

A clock speed of around 2.5Ghz upwards
L2 of 1mb plus
And of course one that fits the mb im buying

(i know that money is a factor so i am keeping open minded about the processer)

Next on the agenda is the graphics card, im not too sure on this one so some advice would be appreciated, i just want one too add on thats better than the onboard graphics and will support some heafty games. I also have a question in this area because i want this computer to be used for as much possible, aswell as pc use i want to use the monitor for tv input and a games console input, so because of that i was looking at some TV cards that insert into the a PCI, these have arial connections but not the red white yellow (that can be sorted out later), on the one that i was looking at the requierments for it was to have a VGA card with 3mb memory. My question is, what is a VGA card, is it just a graphics card or is it video or what, im really not sure on this one so i hand it over to you people.

Theres only the thought of power supply left, what sort, wattage shall i be thinking of getting?

Thats about as much as i can think of right now so any of your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Polat

You want pci-e slots on your motherboard if you want the latest graphics cards.

Probably less powerful versions of card (ex instead of 7800gt or gtx, 7800gs). Both agp or pci-expres from what I know dont even use up full bandwith but pci-express will out live agp. Just get pci-express and save yourself money in the long run.

AGP will also cost you more because less and less people use it btw. anywayz i've compiled a list of the best low priced items

MSI K8n neo4-f
AMD 3700+ or a 3200+
2x1GB Value ram, any of these brands are fine: Corsiar, Crucial, G.Skill, Geil, OCZ
Antec SmartPower 450 or 480 i forget which i tis
eVGA 7600GT ot a ATI x1800 xt
Western Digital Caviar 250GB
NEC 3550A, optical drive
any logitech, klipsh or creative speakers, they are great

that should probably end up to be about 800, no sure about uK prices.

If you don't immediately need this computer, it might be worth it to wait for Intel's new Conroe processors and their accompanying motherboards. Only one of the Conroes is above 2.5 GHZ, but it's an incredibly efficient architecture, so a little speed goes a long way. Also, just FYI, you don't really need more than 1 or 2 GBs of RAM, unless you're doing some serious heavy-duty computing. Finally, those new mobos will have PCIe, which is much better than AGP.

I would suggest because of his limited funds to wait for conroe to grab an AMD X2 since the prices will drop a fair touch.

Conroe's still going to get him much more power for his money. The $150 Conroe can easily duke it out with a 4200+. Even if the 4200+s dropped to $300, you'd still get more out of it with a Conroe.

Wow, lots of response, so n after reading all the replys i should be definatly looking to buy a mobo with pci express and if i am waiting to buy the conroe a mobo that fits with those CPU's.

Putting aside the conroe for now i did come accross this:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=318311

the spec looks pretty good for the price they are offering, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom