Conroe Shortage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did read that Intel won't be able to ramp up Conroe production in all its fabs until the end of the year or so... which means supplies will be tight at first.

Odds are the prices will be higher to start with (due to supply/demand). But the Conroe is supposed to be cheaper than the AMDs.

We'll see. I ain't in any hurry one way or another.

I think July and most of August will be pretty tight, but they won't be too hard to find by fall, IMO.

So then given that I can't take my 1.80 GHz P4 any more and that I am definitely not waiting till the middle of August, much less Autumn for Conroe, do you think that it would be a good idea to just go with AM2 4200? And then upgrade to K8L in a year since the socket is the same?
Anyone else is doing this?
I know that the prices for chips are going to drop a lot in the next 2 weeks. Here is an intel prediction:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2771&p=6

Are price drops going to apply to AM2 as well?

And here is the source link:

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2771&p=6

The scary statistic is that by the end of this year, only 25% of Intel's Performance Mainstream desktop processor shipments will be based on Conroe. The remaining 75% will still be NetBurst based, meaning they will be Pentium 4, Pentium D and Pentium Extreme Edition.

I had already found that link myself, but the guy who originally posted the thread about conroe shortage had also that link as a source. I had missed the paragraph above b/c I had concentrated on the prices only.

That just lays it to rest. If large companies are going to get only 25% Conroe, you might as well forget it. Apparently Intel's goal is to get rid of old inventory by making it cheap, not making Conroe available. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :tired:

So are there any solid comfirmations that AM2 prices are going to drop soon? Or is it like the rumor that s939 parts would drop a ton, which they only went down a little bit...

Yes, I read that. But it doesn't mention the dual cores. Other sources say that the price won't drop until Conroe is released and that dual core AM2s will not go down in price that much. I don't think any of us is going to buy single core.

So out of that 25% there is no chance of getting a conroe, FFS i think im gonna pre order it right noww..

Sorry for being me and being f***ing lazy to read everything here, though to reply to the first post here>> In the store im working @ we've been told by our supplier that 3 days after the official release date we will also recive a nice amount of conroes (which is in the 26'th in july according to his words)

however, now my personal thoughts is that what the dude in the otehr forum said is true, because I heard a lot of rumours saying there will only be like 5-10 conroes out in 23'rd in july.

I haven't found any places where you can pre-order conroe.
If conroe was going to be so abundant, companies would be able to get way more than 25% of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom